Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone and Happy New Years:
My name is Diana and I am currently on a quest to add a teacup poodle to our family (Specifically looking for a red female) I have 2 kids (3 if you count my husband ?) and a golden retriever.

I stumbled upon this forum in my search for a new pup. The process of looking online has become a little daunting. There seems to be many people posing as breeders when they are really a puppy mill. We really want to make sure we do our due diligence before we purchase from anyone.

If anyone has any leads on reputable breeders in the NY, CT, NJ, MA area please let me know. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
23,244 Posts
Hi Diana, please don't specifically look for a toy poodle being marketed as a teacup poodle. That is a gimick and often a sign of a backyard type of breeder. Also color should be one of your lowest priorities. Good health and excellent temperament are the most important things look for. I suggest that you look at Rodell's Toy poodles as a model of the type of breeder you are likely to do well with. However since you have children and a big dog I actually think you should consider a mini over a toy if you want a smaller sized dog. Look at Songbird, also in Connecticut along with Rodell.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Hi and Welcome!
Lily cd re is correct in stating that the term "teacup" is strictly a marketing gimmick. Additionally, when being bred down to these tiny sizes, potential health and safety issues grow larger. Her suggestion to look at those reputable breeder sites to at least get a feel for what to look for is a very good one. Reputable, quality breeders just don't breed down for the sake of size. It's about maintaining and improving the quality of the breed.

From the AKC

About the Poodle: Poodles come in three size varieties: Standards should be more than 15 inches tall at the shoulder; Miniatures are 15 inches or under; Toys stand no more than 10 inches. All three varieties have the same build and proportions.Dec 7, 2019
Poodle Dog Breed Information - American Kennel Club
https://www.akc.org › dog-breeds › poodle-standard

These are some links I keep for those starting a search for a poodle from a quality breeder. Good luck and keep asking questions!

This link should get you to pages which direct you to folks within PCA who can help with breeder referrals for your desired area.

These are AKC registered breeders but review their websites thoroughly. Look for OFA, CHIC health testing info in the site. If not on the website, ask the breeder to provide all health testing results and links (this will be on the dam and sire fyi). In fact, do that with any breeder you make contact with. A quality breeder will not hesitate to show the health documentation.

"Poodle Breeders" Standard Poodles, Miniature Poodles, Toy Poodles Breeders Directory!
All the breeders listed here are required to do appropriate health testing in order to list on that site.

Breeders here all do appropriate health testing.

Another site with multiple breeders listed. Use the same caution.

Most of us aren't breeders and don't have poodles for the purpose of showing, they are our loving companions. We are grateful tho to the breeders who do take the time and spend the money to show and health test their dogs so we can have our healthy and well bred pets.

There are some sub forums here where you can find discussions of breeders recommended, and some, not so much. They're listed at the top of Poodle Talk.

If you use the Search at the top of any page, use Advanced search for breeders in your area.

Contact a few breeders to introduce yourself. Even if they don't have or don't offer what you're looking for, it can be a close knit community. They may know where to refer you

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Hi Diana, please don't specifically look for a toy poodle being marketed as a teacup poodle. That is a gimick and often a sign of a backyard type of breeder. Also color should be one of your lowest priorities. Good health and excellent temperament are the most important things look for. I suggest that you look at Rodell's Toy poodles as a model of the type of breeder you are likely to do well with. However since you have children and a big dog I actually think you should consider a mini over a toy if you want a smaller sized dog. Look at Songbird, also in Connecticut along with Rodell.
Exactly what I was going to say except the breeder. I am unfamiliar with them.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Welcome. You got good advice above. I also think a miniature poodle may be a better mix with children and a lab. If you still want a toy poodle, look for one closer to 10” and not the teeniest size. They will be more robust.

Reactions: lily cd re
1 - 5 of 5 Posts