Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my wall bravura clippers and want to use them for face, feet, tail eventually. However I don’t know the first thing about clippers. I have gathered that the 5 settings correspond to 9, 10, 15, 30 and 40- correct? But what about the plastic attachments? Should I use those? Which setting and attachments would be appropriate for puppy’s face for example?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Yes, you are correct about the settings. You don't need any attachments for the face. I personally use a 40 setting on the face and tail base, but you may want to go more conservative to start. Clean the blade regularly from the hair, and use a lot of lube to keep it cool and running smoothly.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Don't use the plastic attachments. they really are useless, and too long to use for the face and such anyways.. For the face I would use the 10-15 to start (you shave against the growth of the hair). I do most client dogs with a 15 (a few with a 30) and my dog I use the 40.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
You are exactly correct on blade length. When I started doing faces I started at 10 until I was more confident.

Watch Sue Zecco's youtube videos on grooming standard poodles. She and Jay Scruggs have some nice ones for those of us who are novices.

If you do want attachment combs later you want metal combs in a set. They go through poodle hair better than the plastic ones that came with the clipper. You would use the combs on the body and legs to set specific length of the hair.

Learn to clean and maintain the clippers and you will have them a long time. I sure like mine.

Have fun!

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
OK never sure about how to properly clean and maintain the clippers . Are there videos on this too? I'm going to google now.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
well I just answered my question. I found videos and learned I've never properly maintained my blades. I have quite a number of blades and I'm guessing a lot are still good just need cleaning n oil. I'm about to go dig them all out. I'll test some on the cat, LOL

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
well I just answered my question. I found videos and learned I've never properly maintained my blades. I have quite a number of blades and I'm guessing a lot are still good just need cleaning n oil. I'm about to go dig them all out. I'll test some on the cat, LOL
Glad you found the info you needed! I found that hair build up between the two parts of the blade and inside the clipper under the blade to be pretty significant. A little tip on oiling blades....go to your local tractor supply or similar store and buy a syringe with needle attached. Fill that with oil...you now have a precision needle oiler . You can now strategically place your oil on the track where the blade parts slide back and forth without winding up with an over oiled mess.

Run, kitty, run!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Poor, poor kitty!:afraid:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts