Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tips for leash walking? 12 weeks old and one was a puller but taught her out of it with treats and now pays good attention on leash. My other pup doesn't want to go for walks. Immediately tail down and sits. She can be coaxed to make forward progress but not too far at all. Any ideas/tips to make this more enjoyable for her? We had been just practicing in my backyard and moved to our street this week. I could be expecting too much too soon. Currently walking one at a time, on a collar. Suggestions for harnesses or leads would be appreciated as well. Eventually would like to walk them together sometimes. But want them dependable each alone first (so I know this is a long way off).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,217 Posts
I would focus some extra attention on walking without using the leash (in a safe place, of course). That will force you to be exciting enough to urge her along. The leash can then be treated as exactly what it is—a safety tether, there purely for backup.

Maybe even just let it drag so she gets accustomed to the sensation of it being slack, as it will be when she learns to walk nicely on a loose leash.

I think this sort of practise is also good for confidence building. Now's the time she's learning it's safe to follow you anywhere, that you've got her back and won't push her, but that it's fun to just be together.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would focus some extra attention on walking without using the leash (in a safe place, of course). That will force you to be exciting enough to urge her along. The leash can then be treated as exactly what it is—a safety tether, there purely for backup.

Maybe even just let it drag so she gets accustomed to the sensation of it being slack, as it will be when she learns to walk nicely on a loose leash.

I think this sort of practise is also good for confidence building. Now's the time she's learning it's safe to follow you anywhere, that you've got her back and won't push her, but that it's fun to just be together.
Kathy she will play follow the leader in the backyard with and without her leash on. No issues. I can even take her leash in hand at length and she stays close enough that it remains loose. As soon as we go out front she decides she will sit and not go further than 2 houses. It ends up being a stand off...

·
Super Moderator
7,217 Posts
Kathy she will play follow the leader in the backyard with and without her leash on. No issues. I can even take her leash in hand at length and she stays close enough that it remains loose. As soon as we go out front she decides she will sit and not go further than 2 houses. It ends up being a stand off...
I'm not sure who Kathy is. Lol. But is it possible she's just refusing to stray too far from her sister? Have you tried planting someone in the distance, a bit past where she usually slams on the brakes, to encourage her to push through that mental barrier?

If Peggy was hesitant to go somewhere, but saw my husband in the distance, she'd forget about whatever was bothering her and forge ahead.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry copy and pasted from another page...leah was inside and it isnt consistent where she stops. Seems like she hates walking out of the yard...not sure if it is a fear response (we live on the main road for our neighborhood). It feels manipulative. If I put a treat in front of her she will attempt to take it. But wont move for it. Today we sat at the corner of my yard for 10mins. When I moved to go toward home she moved. When I turned to go towards my neighbors she plants and sits :(

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I would try to make it a game. Run run run to a bit before where she usually balks. Run back home. Yay puppy! Run a titch farther, yay, run home. Work on that a bit every day so she gets out of the habit of balking, and walking with you is fun fun fun, not scary/worrying. Maybe have a party with treats. Make going outside the best thing ever, not something to be put up with or that she resents or is scared about. Try to get her out of the habit of resisting. Maybe bring a toy, and play. Maybe have a family member stand outside and run to them. Maybe have her sister stand outside with a family member around the corner, to be an awesome surprise.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would try to make it a game. Run run run to a bit before where she usually balks. Run back home. Yay puppy! Run a titch farther, yay, run home. Work on that a bit every day so she gets out of the habit of balking, and walking with you is fun fun fun, not scary/worrying. Maybe have a party with treats. Make going outside the best thing ever, not something to be put up with or that she resents or is scared about. Try to get her out of the habit of resisting. Maybe bring a toy, and play. Maybe have a family member stand outside and run to them. Maybe have her sister stand outside with a family member around the corner, to be an awesome surprise.
Ok thanks :) it seems simple enough to want to walk a dog. Ive always had the opposite issue of puppy wanting to lunge and pull forward. Never had one not want to go lol

·
Super Moderator
7,217 Posts
I think she's not wanting to leave her sister.

I had a dog that resisted walking unless the whole family was together. She wasn't manipulating me. In fact, I don't think that sort of thinking is very helpful, even as it's very tempting. It's natural for humans to anthropomorphize their pets.

But dogs do what serves them best in the moment, and they are very transparent about it. We just don't speak their language, so it's not always easy to understand what they're communicating to us.

I think planting her sister up ahead could be very enlightening. If she suddenly "forgets" she can't stray far from the house, you'll know why the house was calling her back so strongly.

And yes: Play play play. She's just a baby. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi I had the same issue with my puppy! Found an amazing trick !! I used a martigall leash so he cannot hurt his neck but I can have good control of him , short leash and then I was walking saying : walk and throwing food behind me on the floor , then I was waiting for him to look at me then walk and throw food on the floor behind me. Again again and again , then when he was seeing something I was saying leave it and throwing food on the grass , and everytime he would watch someone or seem alert I would say leave it and throw the food in the grass and then walk again ! I promise it would work ! The reason to throw food behind you is for always keeping the lead so he understands food appears only when he is paying attention to you ! I used to be so désesperated with my dog always crying when going for a walk ! Now he is by my feet the entire time

1 - 9 of 9 Posts