Poodle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello friends

How long do you think a 5 years old toy poodle can hold his bladder? at night, and during the day time?

or if i should ask this in a different way - how often we should let him relieve himself?

I know it really depends but we don't have any outdoor garden etc so we need to walk him out.

My current schedule is 2 times a day. 9am / 7pm. Do you think it's good enough?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
Not nearly enough. Twice a day isn’t a good fit for any dog, or person.

My toys (2 and 5) go out at 8-9 am, noon, 5 pm and 9 pm. That’s a minimum. I’m home and will let them out if they ask in between

When I was working, my dogs would go in the morning, around 5 pm, around 7-8 pm and once more at bedtime.

So 4 times a day for both situations. I think you should add 2 outings.

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
When we had our tpoo she went out at least three times, usually four. She went out before we left for work, mid afternoon (when the kids left home for university we paid a professional dog walker to walk and play with her) after supper and before bed. Sometimes the after supper and before bed walk got merged into one depending on weather and our schedule.

If getting your dog outside to potty is a problem you could train him to potty on a pad. Does he lift his leg? Does he pee mark? Could he be marking in the house in between those two potty breaks?

Reactions: sam20e

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Twice a day is not enough .........having to hold bladder for long lengths of time can lead to urinary track infections (UTI).

I live in an Apt, but I have a small patio slab that I can let my girl out on in addition to her daily walk of 1.5 miles, but because of coyotes in my neighborhood and my own disabilities, late night potties are done on a potty pad. Training her to use a potty pad as well as going outside is the best thing I ever did! She potties at least 4X a day!

·
Premium Member
15,342 Posts
I agree - several more opportunities needed. Sophy is a little camel, but even she needs to go out every 4-5 hours during the day. For Poppy it is more like every three hours. Typically mine go out on waking around 7am, for a short walk around 9am, for a longer walk around midday, with pee breaks in the garden mid afternoon, after supper at 5 or 6pm, and a final trip before bed, so that is six or seven times during waking hours. I can leave them for three or four hours if absolutely necessary, but would not leave them longer than that without arranging for someone to take them out.

·
Premium Member
7,478 Posts
Do you have a balcony or a place outside your door for a potty patch? Maybe even in the bathroom? He should be able to sleep thru the night, 8 hours or so, but I also agree with at least four times a day. He may even restrict his fluid intake if not given enough opportunity to relieve himself and that can also lead to health problems.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
When I had my toy poo he went out 3 times a day. Occasionally 4. Two times is just not enough for a toy.

The dogs I have now (minipoo and Pom-a-poo)use wee wee pads due to my inability to walk them. They typically go 3 times a day, but sometimes more.

I also have a small balcony where I keep a pad of AstroTurf where in nice weather I can let them out there and they use that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If getting your dog outside to potty is a problem you could train him to potty on a pad. Does he lift his leg? Does he pee mark? Could he be marking in the house in between those two potty breaks?
Thank you all. I really appreciate your input. He used to lift his leg and pee mark only outside. At home he never pee or make any accident.

Like everyone suggested I will add 2 more breaks in between.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have a balcony or a place outside your door for a potty patch? Maybe even in the bathroom? He should be able to sleep thru the night, 8 hours or so, but I also agree with at least four times a day. He may even restrict his fluid intake if not given enough opportunity to relieve himself and that can also lead to health problems.

I do not have a balcony or any outdoor space. I think i can use my bathroom.

Can you please suggest a good potty pad? may be some amazon links?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.