Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to be able to walk Mojo my 10 month toy poodle in the summer. It will be our first summer and I am concerned about burnt paws. Does anyone have suggestions for boots for hot pavement? Thank you for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,860 Posts
I am in NY State, I use Musher's Secret on my pup for walking on asphalt in the summer, as for boots I have no suggestions

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I have Musher’s Secret on hand. Our friend’s GR was jogging along with his people and was miserable later with burned pads one Texas summer. I have touched the pavement, ever since and limited or scheduled walks accordingly.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
I don’t use anything for their laws but I try to walk either in the morning or late afternoon, early evening so the pavement is not as hot. And I let them walk on grass as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I live in El Paso - not as hot as AZ, but still pretty hot. In the summer I usually only take my dog walking early in the morning - that way the pavement has had all night to cool down. The generally accepted test is to put your hand on the pavement for 5 seconds, and if it is tolerable, then it's probably OK for the dog. An infrared thermometer would be a more accurate way to do it, if you wanted to nerd out, since everyone's hands and tolerance to heat are different. I just check to make sure the pavement only feels warm, not hot. Where we live there might even be early mornings where it's too hot. If that's the case, then a grassy park or playing in the yard would probably be better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts