Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When walking 6 month old standard poodle she gets super excited when another dog is anywhere nearby by and tries to run and jump towards other dogs or people across the street. How can I teach her good manners?

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Start with Look At That, a very useful training game.

Quotes and posts from one of our members who trained her own diabetes alert dog and is now a certified trainer.

Look at That game. It's one of the most useful tools for helping a stressed dog calm down.

The Look at that game.

Start in the house. Have an object in your hand (book, plastic bottle) Wave it, say look at that, when the dog looks, say YES (or click) and give a treat. Hide it behind your back. Take a breath, and repeat. Put the object in different places, over your head, to your left, to your right, between your legs. Keep the game fun and happy.

The dog will learn to LOOK at something and then LOOK back at you for a reward.
The goal of the game is to teach the dog to look at a scary or overstimulating thing, now look at me.

Go very slowly. Look at one scary person, treat, go back inside where it's safe. Next time, look at two very scary people, treat, go back inside. If your dog spits out treats, you're too close to the scary thing. Back up.
I love the Look at that game. I think it's the best thing I trained Noelle. Even more useful that sit. See that attractive amazing distracting thing over there? Look at that! Now, look at me and get a treat. And while your eyes are on me, little miss thing, reset and pay attention to me. Fun.

I found these by using the advanced search function. This is the link to those results if you would like more detail.

Reactions: Liz

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
My dog often wanted to meet and play with the dogs he saw walk by. So when I see a dog coming, I take a few treats from my pocket and toss them on the ground in front of my dog as the new dog walks by.

It's reached the point that when other dogs approach, he looks at me waiting for the treats.

·
Premium Member
23,848 Posts
Yes for sure to Look at That (LAT). The most excellent video demo on it is by Donna Hill on YouTube. Click often links to it and I always refer to that video if I have a client team that needs that exercise too. Dianaleez that is also a nice way to keep a young dog under threshold. Clearly you have built a good connection with Normie since he knows now to look to you to help him work through a situation that makes him nervous.

Reactions: Rose n Poos
1 - 5 of 5 Posts