Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! My puppy is two weeks old and I get to meet the whole litter in a couple of weeks to select my standard poodle to be my service dog. I have so many questions and concerns especially with the state of our nation's health these days so I'm very comforted by all the information here. If you have a spoo as a service dog or particularly a psychiatric service dog I would love to hear about it. Fortunately i have a highly recommended trainer in my city and am grateful that I won't have to travel. Best to everyone. Cathie Sue

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
I was lucky to get Asta and had no idea that he could be a service dog. I thought and posted about a command that I use to "Help me" (go get husband and lead him back to me) and folks I highly respect said no, he was not a emotional support dog, but rather a service dog as he has specific commands to help me with my bipolar disorder. Since then, I have taught him several more commands and shaping his behavior to work so that now he nudges me when it is time to take my meds (3x a day, plus one before bed) Medications are super important to me to stay on track,. Anyway it is like 15 pills a day. Currently I am working on getting him to fetch me a bottle of water which will be useful. Click'N'Treat suggested that task.

What I would do differently - work more on focus; work way more on basic commands as you will need them when you are out and about. In this respect, we do daily work. Right now I am getting him to go to his mat on command. Every day it is a new mix of commands -some basic, some bipolar. Oh and don't forget grooming. Good manners are a must whether you plan to take the dog to a groomer or groom yourself.

If there is anything more I can help you with, please reach out and start a Conversation. (Or you can reply to this post) I don't mind talking about my disorder as I think it helps people more to understand mental illness. I can't say enough about this great community. Asta and I would have never have learned without encouragement, the posts from the more experience trainers and those that write everyday about all things poodle.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I agree that basic everyday living commands are a must. Before your dog is ready to be trained for your specific needs, he needs to be trained to his own specific needs.

Reward him for sitting front and center to you when he comes. This keeps him from jumping up on people. For feeding, train him to sit and wait a few seconds before you give him a release so he can eat. When he understands the release word, you can advance to having him wait before chasing something or meeting new friends.

Reward him for sitting at the door, out of the way of the door swing. Then, he waits until to release him to pass through the door. This keeps him from scratching the door, and from dashing madly outside. He waits for you to put the leash on him. He also sits there calmly while you answer the door. You won't have to put him in another room when you answer the door.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree that basic everyday living commands are a must. Before your dog is ready to be trained for your specific needs, he needs to be trained to his own specific needs.

Reward him for sitting front and center to you when he comes. This keeps him from jumping up on people. For feeding, train him to sit and wait a few seconds before you give him a release so he can eat. When he understands the release word, you can advance to having him wait before chasing something or meeting new friends.

Reward him for sitting at the door, out of the way of the door swing. Then, he waits until to release him to pass through the door. This keeps him from scratching the door, and from dashing madly outside. He waits for you to put the leash on him. He also sits there calmly while you answer the door. You won't have to put him in another room when you answer the door.
Thank you for your encouragement. I know my trainer will reinforce everything you've said. My anxiety is still present so hearing encouraging word and reassurances helps so much. This is my first puppy although I've owned older dogs. IS there a forum for service dods on this site? I haev to say this is all very new to me, :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts