Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, guys, I have gone and put money down on a puppy due this month- after a year of thinking about it. Most of that year my plan was to get a toy. Then when I visited a breeder who has all three varieties, I lost my head over the minis. A complete surprise, but I guess it shows the value of visiting breeders as part of the research phase.

I am second in line for picking a puppy. The only other time I've purchased a puppy the breeder picked which puppy was to be mine (and did an awesome job), so I'm a little nervous about how this is all going to work. I know I want a well-balanced dog that is easy to live with, but I would also like a biddable dog who is food/toy motivated and is not a "one-person" dog. I have heard others say that a well-bred balanced poodle can do just about anything with training- and I feel confident that every pup in this litter will meet that criteria.

It's interesting to read the recent forum talk about "high energy" minis. It's a generality that does get repeated fairly often on here. I think my background with aussies (a high energy dog that regularly wore me out) may influence my opinion about minis as being easy to live with. I liked their friendly curiosity where they seem to be saying "Hi! What are you doing? Can I do it too?" And very snuggly and sweet and funny and athletic and elegant. Definitely more than just a couch potato, but not a herding breed level of energy.

So now you know I am on a puppy watch. I'll post back here with puppy updates as I have them. It won't be much until August/September. Now to decide on a name...

·
Registered
12,701 Posts
How exciting - hope all goes well, and we can join you in your puppy fun and games in a few months time!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, fjm! I am getting my puppy supplies together, including getting my real (not cell phone) camera out of the drawer. I'm determined to get good pictures of this black puppy!

Reactions: Mfmst

·
Premium Member
23,572 Posts
You are doing fine! I am sure if you talk to the breeder as the puppies develop they will be able to guide you in your choice. Tell them about the traits that matter most to you and they will look for those attributes as the personalities start to form. I talked and emailed with Javelin's breeder to give her a picture of what my older dogs were like (Lily hates other black spoo bitches, but likes all males) and what I was looking to do with my new pup. Color was a total non-issue since it was an all black litter, but a confident pup, male that understood he would be a prince not a king so that he wouldn't push things with Lily and eager to learn since I am a performance obedience type. I got all of that in Javelin. So you and your breeder together should be able to make the same successful match.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you, all. It is hard to wait. I was very patient and methodical until I actually held a puppy. Now I'm practically foaming at the mouth with puppy fever. The only [the only what? this part of my post disappeared and I don't remember what I was saying. Must be a side effect of puppy fever!]

Navy is blissfully unaware that he will soon experience a puppy invasion. He is sitting beside me on the couch, all cute with his Shelandy fluffed hair and my beginner's attempt at a town and country groom. I am unable to finish trying to blend my lines because I cut my hand with my new clippers, and decided it was time to call it quits until I'm no longer sporting bandaids.

I am reading The Focused Puppy: A Training System for Raising a Great Companion & Performance Dog. I have dreams of trying Rally, or maybe even returning to agility. I used to love agility training and competing- now I wonder if I'm too old. Agility trials where I live are cold affairs, but my aussie was a fairly rugged dog. Will a mini hold up to hours of chilly temps? Will I? I guess I'll just start at the beginning with puppy class, work our way up to a CGC test, and then reassess if we are having fun.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
It’s hard to wait, but good that you are preparing. I think you will be thrilled with a minipoo.

Reactions: Newport

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, Skylar. I am still surprised how quickly I changed varieties once I was surrounded by a pack of both toys and minis. I still love the toy size, and someday I'll enjoy one as part of the family. However, the minis seem like such a good match for us right now. And, due to lack of exposure I guess, I was surprised how they really weren't that much bigger than the toys. It is a big leap from a mini size to a spoo. I had erroneously imagined that the three varieties were equally spaced in size- ha seems funny now, but I guess you don't know what you don't know.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy! I think there's a lot of difference between the small minis and large minis. Misha's breeder has reds and blacks, but the reds are way smaller than the blacks. The reds felt more like small dogs to me where the larger blacks had more of a medium size dog feel. So there's a good range to get what you're looking for.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Congratulations Newport! I am getting a toy in about a year, so I’ll be waiting that long myself. Even now I have puppy fever, but have found the breeder... biggest step! You know, if you spend time with the puppies who haven’t been picked yet, one will find it’s way to picking you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Puppy update

I decided after weeks of moping, I should get on here and post an update. My puppy plans did not work out. It was a singleton litter, and the puppy rightly went to another loving family.

We are on the waiting list for another litter, same breeder different dam, due sometime in September. I am less excited this time. I guess my reminder lesson in not counting chickens before they hatch took the wind out of my sails. It will be easier to believe I'm getting a puppy when there is one on the ground, and it is the right puppy for us.

I have thought a lot about "the best" way to get a puppy. It seems like the high road is to locate your preferred breeder, then wait for the right puppy. However, this can mean MONTHS of waiting, or longer in some cases. I have completely missed my best window for puppy raising. It seems like it would have been smarter to locate TWO breeders. However, I have read from breeders that they hate it when puppy buyers do this. See https://www.norikopoodles.com/links for "puppy buyer etiquette" essay if you are wondering what I'm talking about.

So that's my update. I hope I will be happily posting about my puppy sometime in September. Meanwhile, my work schedule is filling up and my teenagers are going back to school.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I decided after weeks of moping, I should get on here and post an update. My puppy plans did not work out. It was a singleton litter, and the puppy rightly went to another loving family.

We are on the waiting list for another litter, same breeder different dam, due sometime in September. I am less excited this time. I guess my reminder lesson in not counting chickens before they hatch took the wind out of my sails. It will be easier to believe I'm getting a puppy when there is one on the ground, and it is the right puppy for us.

I have thought a lot about "the best" way to get a puppy. It seems like the high road is to locate your preferred breeder, then wait for the right puppy. However, this can mean MONTHS of waiting, or longer in some cases. I have completely missed my best window for puppy raising. It seems like it would have been smarter to locate TWO breeders. However, I have read from breeders that they hate it when puppy buyers do this. See https://www.norikopoodles.com/links for "puppy buyer etiquette" essay if you are wondering what I'm talking about.

So that's my update. I hope I will be happily posting about my puppy sometime in September. Meanwhile, my work schedule is filling up and my teenagers are going back to school.
I'm so sorry. That is very upsetting. I had the same considerations for timing. I ended up getting lucky, but you are right that it can easily fall through if you are waiting long in advance. I think there is a balance. Different breeders take lists at different points. Some do not take hard lists or deposits until paws are on the ground. Some will x ray to know the number of pups to expect.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'm so sorry, Newport. That is extremely disappointing. I know some people like to choose a breeder, but there are so many good breeders, I prefer to choose a time I'm ready to get a dog and then see what's available. The Facebook health tested poodles group often has amazing dogs available, and poodlebreeders.com also alerts you to new puppies and litters (and older dogs occasionally!). Please remind me which size you are looking for?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Raindrops, it has been a learning process! I focused on building a relationship with my breeder of choice, which had the unexpected side effect of my husband becoming very committed to getting a pup just from this breeder. He has said if this next litter does not have a puppy for us that he would be willing to look around. So one way or the other we will have forward movement in September.

MF, we are looking for a female mini. Thank you for your moral support. It means a lot! I am connected with the resources you mentioned. If we come up empty handed after this next litter is born I will post a “I’m looking for...” message here on PF. Perhaps the power of my connection with you all will lead me to the happy ending I’m seeking.

·
Premium Member
9,816 Posts
Well, darn! But you’ll be first on the list next time. I agree with the approach of finding and developing a relationship with your breeder and then getting in line, deposit sent. There’s a lot of preparation for a newbie poodle owner, equipment, shampoos... I did a lot of shopping, reading and watching YouTube, PF was a huge resource. The time passes and it will be worth the wait:)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's true, Mfmst, I am first in line for a great puppy- and that's a wonderful thing to remember!

Reactions: Mfmst
1 - 19 of 19 Posts