Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the wait is to be continued. I have 2 breeders I’m in contact with about getting a tiny toy 1 ,who’s my second choice, won’t be having a litter until November or December and that’s a rough estimate. While my first choice welcomed a litter 2 weeks ago and the puppies are charting to be 5+ lbs it was their stud with another breeders dam. They said one of their own females who is known to thrown tinys just came into heat and will be breeding soon and that litter will be due in November but puppies will be white. I’m hesitant about an all white dog. How hard is it to keep the white icy white? I was planning to feed a raw and canned diet, will that cause staining?

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
My boy Leonard is white, his breeder said the best way to avoid stain is to keep up with it it.
Honestly I would be less worried about size and color and more concerned that the parents are health tested, well bred toys are small to begin with or as I say about mine infant sized.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
There’s no such thing as a Tiny toy, and breeders who use this term do it for marketing purposes and increased profits.

I would be very worried about a breeder who breeds specifically for smaller toys and calls them «*tiny toys*». Smaller toys do exist, but they should not be planned for, they just happen. Good, ethical breeders will breed to achieve dogs that possess the characteristic of the breed standard, not a smaller version of it and all the health risk that comes with it.

I would reconsider this breeder.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My boy Leonard is white, his breeder said the best way to avoid stain is to keep up with it it.
Honestly I would be less worried about size and color and more concerned that the parents are health tested, well bred toys are small to begin with or as I say about mine infant sized.
I have to put a lot of focus on size as I got my company to allow me to bring my pup with me while I travel for work with the condition that it’s a tiny dog no bigger than 4lbs. Color really isn’t my focus I just didn’t want an all black pup that is hard to see and the upkeep of a solid white is a little daunting especially while traveling as I won’t have access to a bathtub and/or a blow dryer so wipes would have to do until we get home. I’m not picky on color any other color I wouldn’t even think twice about it. Someone in my apartment complex actually recommended me to the 2nd breeder I mentioned when I was asking her about her cream toys. The other breeder I found online and I did a lot of research but I haven’t met her dogs yet or any puppies she’s produced which is why she’s my 2nd choice. I’m more so hoping it works out with the other breeder. Nov can’t get here soon enough maybe there will be a tiny cream in the litter ??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There’s no such thing as a Tiny toy, and breeders who use this term do it for marketing purposes and increased profits.

I would be very worried about a breeder who breeds specifically for smaller toys and calls them «*tiny toys*». Smaller toys do exist, but they should not be planned for, they just happen. Good, ethical breeders will breed to achieve dogs that possess the characteristic of the breed standard, not a smaller version of it and all the health risk that comes with it.

I would reconsider this breeder.
tiny toy is just what I’m using to describe what I’m looking for. 2-3lbs ideally 3lbs but no bigger than 4lbs as that isn’t normal toy weight I can’t just say toy or small toy. She doesn’t breed for tiny size she doesn’t even mention she has tinys. I met one of her puppy buyers who has 2 creams from her and was referred to her otherwise I wouldn’t have ever known about her. I was waiting for another litter which was born 2 weeks ago but the puppies are all charting to be 5+ lbs so average. She has a female of her own that has in the past had puppies in the size range I need. The only reason I was holding out hope for this current litter was because there was a small possibility for a pup in my size range and the puppies were expected to be apricot or creams.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Well bred Toys are not 2-3 lbs, that is not a healthy size for a toy poodle.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm surprised they can predict that with accuracy. I know nothing about toys as I am looking on the opposite end, Standards and I do not care about how big or small. When I got my last dog there were 3 females available and I did not pick one because she was much smaller and whinnier (not that they always go together). The breeder said that sometimes a dog is the runt because it was conceived later not because it will be smaller since dogs often have more than one mating over the course of several days (or at least standards do, no idea about toys). My puppy was bigger than the other two, much bigger than the runty one. While I did not meet the others as adults, mine turned out to be on the small average side for a standard even though she was big at 8 weeks.

Also, is anyone at your company really going to be weighing your dog? Can anyone who is not a toy breeder tell the difference between a 4lb and 5lb dog? I have no idea simply asking. I would think the main thing is that it can stay in the carrier and be small enough to take on a plane and be relatively inconspicous and I think all dogs under a certain weight can do that but again I am not a toy person. I would think temperment would be more important, if I worked at a company and did not like dogs, it would be more important to me that my co worker have a quiet non yappy well behaved dog that likes being carried around than that it meet a certain weight class

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
If the weight limit is for flying, that limit is heavier than 3-4 pounds. My miniature poodle who weighs 16 pounds easily met the limit to fly her home under the seat when we picked her up at the breeders. My minipoo was a full grown adult when we purchased her and she’s on the large side for a minipoo. She also fits on my lap. When we travel by car she has a doggie harness that buckles her into one car seat. I mention my miniature but I’m not suggesting that you get a miniature. I just mention it because they are larger than toys and many miniature poodles can still meet the requirements the airlines set for travel.

Most people have no idea what a 3 or 4 pound dog looks like and a normal healthy toy poodle is still very light weight (maybe 6-9 pounds), tiny and easy to pick up.

If I were you I would look for a normal weight healthy tpoo from health testing parents. Look for a well bred dog, not the runt of the litter bred to be abnormally small. Those so called teacup puppies have health issues and may have trouble toilet training. Or consider another bred for which 3-4 pounds is considered a healthy normal weight.

·
Premium Member
23,170 Posts
I have to put a lot of focus on size as I got my company to allow me to bring my pup with me while I travel for work with the condition that it’s a tiny dog no bigger than 4lbs. Color really isn’t my focus I just didn’t want an all black pup that is hard to see and the upkeep of a solid white is a little daunting especially while traveling as I won’t have access to a bathtub and/or a blow dryer so wipes would have to do until we get home. I’m not picky on color any other color I wouldn’t even think twice about it. Someone in my apartment complex actually recommended me to the 2nd breeder I mentioned when I was asking her about her cream toys. The other breeder I found online and I did a lot of research but I haven’t met her dogs yet or any puppies she’s produced which is why she’s my 2nd choice. I’m more so hoping it works out with the other breeder. Nov can’t get here soon enough maybe there will be a tiny cream in the litter ??

Holy heck NO please don't get a dog that small or encourage breeding a dog that small. Most Chihuahuas and Maltese are bigger than 3-4 pounds. A poodle in that size range sounds fragile and bound to injuries or health concerns. If this is a decision made to be able to travel to meet the obligations of your job, then maybe it isn't the right time for a dog of any breed just because it is small. I waited over 20 years to have the right living and job conditions to do right for Lily (my first poodle, now 11). It wasn't mostly about what I wanted. It was about what would be right for both of us.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m not flying I’m driving. I’m a truck driver and because of what I do and what I haul and where I go my company is very strict on the no dogs rule but after lots of conversations and lots of compromises. We came to an agreement on a tiny dog there’s also some other things I would have to do once I get the puppy but the important part is they’re allowing me to bring a pup with me while I work. I talked about my situation to countless breeders and these 2 especially the 1 seem perfect and understand my situation and are willing to working with me. Which is why I don’t mind having to wait even though I want a puppy now lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the weight limit is for flying, that limit is heavier than 3-4 pounds. My miniature poodle who weighs 16 pounds easily met the limit to fly her home under the seat when we picked her up at the breeders. My minipoo was a full grown adult when we purchased her and she’s on the large side for a minipoo. She also fits on my lap. When we travel by car she has a doggie harness that buckles her into one car seat. I mention my miniature but I’m not suggesting that you get a miniature. I just mention it because they are larger than toys and many miniature poodles can still meet the requirements the airlines set for travel.

Most people have no idea what a 3 or 4 pound dog looks like and a normal healthy toy poodle is still very light weight (maybe 6-9 pounds), tiny and easy to pick up.

If I were you I would look for a normal weight healthy tpoo from health testing parents. Look for a well bred dog, not the runt of the litter bred to be abnormally small. Those so called teacup puppies have health issues and may have trouble toilet training. Or consider another bred for which 3-4 pounds is considered a healthy normal weight.
I know what a 4lbs toy looks like my mom has a 4lbs cafe and I love her to pieces. She got her when she was 7 months old and was told she would probably get a bit bigger but nope she was finished growing. I would go where my mom got her poodle from but that breeder no longer breeds her daughter passed away in a car accident and she’s raising her grandkids now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm surprised they can predict that with accuracy. I know nothing about toys as I am looking on the opposite end, Standards and I do not care about how big or small. When I got my last dog there were 3 females available and I did not pick one because she was much smaller and whinnier (not that they always go together). The breeder said that sometimes a dog is the runt because it was conceived later not because it will be smaller since dogs often have more than one mating over the course of several days (or at least standards do, no idea about toys). My puppy was bigger than the other two, much bigger than the runty one. While I did not meet the others as adults, mine turned out to be on the small average side for a standard even though she was big at 8 weeks.

Also, is anyone at your company really going to be weighing your dog? Can anyone who is not a toy breeder tell the difference between a 4lb and 5lb dog? I have no idea simply asking. I would think the main thing is that it can stay in the carrier and be small enough to take on a plane and be relatively inconspicous and I think all dogs under a certain weight can do that but again I am not a toy person. I would think temperment would be more important, if I worked at a company and did not like dogs, it would be more important to me that my co worker have a quiet non yappy well behaved dog that likes being carried around than that it meet a certain weight class
toy breeders can usually predict sizes pretty early on. Standards are totally different they grow for up to 2 years and sometimes longer while a toy only grows for up to a year with a lot of toys finishing before they’re even a yr old. All the toys in my family were full grown by 9-10 months. I have a cousin who use to breed Maltese and she knew the sizes of her puppies in the first couple of weeks and was usually spot on with her estimates.

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
And what happens if it ends up growing past 4 lbs, despite the breeder's and your best efforts? That's a very real possibility.

My mini-mix Gracie fluctuated between 10.5 and 14.5 lbs over the course of her adult life, due to health issues. That's a *dramatic* range for such a small dog.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And what happens if it ends up growing past 4 lbs, despite the breeder's and your best efforts? That's a very real possibility.

My mini-mix Gracie fluctuated between 10.5 and 14.5 lbs over the course of her adult life, due to health issues. That's a *dramatic* range for such a small dog.
If it’s just a matter of in the winter the pup puts on a couple pounds than I’m sure they won’t mind but if the dog does turn out to be 6-7lbs there will probably be a series of meetings and depending on the outcome they might let him or her slide or they might say no it’s too big and at that point the pup will become my partner’s pet and I’ll have to start the search all over for a road buddy. There’s another driver who went through something similar he has a 5-6lbs poodle mix and he only got to slide by because he went local I’m staying out on the road I’m not switching my routes. So either puppy makes the weight and is my road partner or he/she doesn’t and becomes a house dog ?‍♀ My company is extremely strict and in 10 yrs has only bent this rule twice now. I’m not even aloud to have another human on my truck and if I do it’s grounds for termination.

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
One thing I miss about a dog smaller than a Spoo, is exactly what someone else stated. No one cares what they weigh, as long as they’re small. We took our Scottie to all the nice hotels that accepted dogs, I think they had a 15 lb. limit which he exceeded. Not one word. I couldn’t get away with that with Buck. Healthy toys, weigh so little. Best wishes on finding a puppy that won’t be fat shamed by your company. Charm goes a long way and Tpoos are all that:)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm agreeing on not worrying about a teensy tiny size. Go with health and personality. I really doubt anyone is going to weigh your dog. As long as he or she is obviously a toy size, and is all behaved all will be good. Make sure your puppy does not jump on people, but will sit nicely a good 12 inches when meeting them. Discourage barking. You can use treats to train your dog to stop barking after one or two barks. People hate yapping.

As for staining and diet, some people say that diet plays a role in tear stains. Feed the best diet you can. Raw is not going to cause color changes or staining. I would only use raw, not switch between raw and canned. If sometimes you can't feed raw, try kibble. It is easier to transport than an opened can, and is what the dog will be fed if it ever gets lost.

A damp washcloth will take care of any little dirty marks. Combing or brushing helps also.

You can trim the puppy's nails with a human's nail file. Long nails scratch delicate human skin and can get caught in carpeting.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Have you chosen a vet yet? If you haven't, you might use the subject of smaller toy poodles to interview them, get a feel for their knowledge.

Don't answer here, just to yourself.

I'm curious why you chose a toy poodle for a road companion? I don't know the terminology, but are you a long hauler? Is there a possibility that the pup would be left in an unheated or cooled cab for more than 5 minutes? Poodles that small have a hard time regulating body temp as it is. Hypoglycemic crises are life threatening so quickly you would not believe it. What about bathing and grooming on the road? And I just had a horrible mental image of a 3-4lb poodle falling out of the truck. They break easily enough jumping on or off a sofa. It doesn't strike me as impossible, but really, really not easy? Yep.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
OP, I've been reading some forums where drivers talk about traveling with their dogs, so I can understand your situation better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you chosen a vet yet? If you haven't, you might use the subject of smaller toy poodles to interview them, get a feel for their knowledge.

Don't answer here, just to yourself.

I'm curious why you chose a toy poodle for a road companion? I don't know the terminology, but are you a long hauler? Is there a possibility that the pup would be left in an unheated or cooled cab for more than 5 minutes? Poodles that small have a hard time regulating body temp as it is. Hypoglycemic crises are life threatening so quickly you would not believe it. What about bathing and grooming on the road? And I just had a horrible mental image of a 3-4lb poodle falling out of the truck. They break easily enough jumping on or off a sofa. It doesn't strike me as impossible, but really, really not easy? Yep.
I chose a toy poodle because 1 their intelligence and 2 they don’t shed or shed as much as other dogs which is a must for my job I can’t have dog hair everywhere in my truck and I can’t risk going in some of these locations causing contamination because I’m covered in dog fur. As for the truck our trucks idle meaning they don’t cut off it’s hot the truck will run AC non stop in the cab and bunk area likewise if it’s cold it runs the heater at a set temp I select. I’m regional so I get weekends off and maybe 1 or 2 nights home during the week. On the road the best I can do for grooming is brushing/combing and have wipes on hand and if the puppy seriously needs a bath and we can’t wait until we get home I’ll use a truck stop shower and bath it in there. I doubt the puppy would fall every dog I ever put in a truck wouldn’t even come near the edge when the door was open unless I was standing directly in front of them. Poodles are a super popular breed for truckers most have toys and minis you’d be surprised to see some of these big rough and tough guys out here walking toy poodles ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts