Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For any of you who use this clipper....I just received this clipper that I ordered to attempt to do my dogs face and feet etc (I had purchased the Andis AG2 but was reading this would be better for the more delicate areas) and the instructions for us total grooming newbies are lacking lol. I know the blade does five lengths 9,10, 15, 30 and 40 but it doesn't say which is which. On the blade toggle it has positions 1, 2, 3 and 4. I am assuming that position 4 is the longest length of hair left ie the 9? I just want to be sure before I make my first run and end up way too close. I think doing it the longest would be best in the beginning for me so I don't give them clipper burn or anything. and it did not indicate like the Andis did that I should oil blade before first u se but is this preferred? Thank you so much!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Position 1 is the shortest (40). You can look at the blade and see how the bottom blade moves in respect to the upper blade to be sure which setting is long and which is shorter. Yes, oil the blade.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Position 1 is the shortest (40). You can look at the blade and see how the bottom blade moves in respect to the upper blade to be sure which setting is long and which is shorter. Yes, oil the blade.
Thank you so much! I wanted to be sure :)

·
Super Moderator
5,103 Posts
Let me know how it goes! I woke up this morning thinking I should really invest in this clipper for Peggy's more delicate areas. After being quite patient during each previous session, she abruptly decided yesterday that she did NOT like my Andis on her legs, so now she has one leg partially shaved, and the rest wild and woolly.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Another note, there is a difference between going forward or in reverse. Forward is when you go in the direction the hair grows (from nose to tail) and reverse is when you go opposite. It will result in a length difference (maybe 1/4"?). The face is usually done in reverse (usually with 9-15). For a short body clip you can use the 9 forward, but going in reverse would leave your dog quite naked. Longer hair lengths require combs, and the metal combs are much better than plastic.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for that I was wondering on direction! I did both my boys face, feet and sanitary in a 9. My groomer usually does in 30 but I didn’t want to chance razor burning etc and I think the nine did a fine job. Nothing as pristine as my groomer but definitely will get us thru! I’m going to clip the bodies in a 7 with my Andis AG tomorrow when the blade arrives. That is the usual length my groomer does body. I assume that is forward or with the hair? This has sure taught me a lot and I have to say it’s kinda fun 😊 pic of my hairy guys newly shaved face.....going to try to start scissoring head and mane today and I’m TERRIFIED! Lol

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes just the face and feet so far. Thank you! I haven’t started the cut down on the head and mane lol made another post for a couple questions on that. I’m soooo nervous!

·
Super Moderator
1,456 Posts
You are doing way better than I did with Galen. His puppy wiggles combined with my incompetence means he looks like he stuck his snout into an eggbeater.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Looks great! Yes usually if they just say they use a 7 then that means forward. A 7 reverse I think would be similar to a 10 forward. It's usually only specified if it's in a reverse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts