Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Von Willebrand's test done on Flip (along with a coag panel and cbc, normal) and got the results back today.

He is in the normal range, but just barely.
Does anyone have experience with this?

He scored a 71%

70-180% = NORMAL
50-69% = BORDERLINE RANGE
0-49% = CARRIER RANGE
Referral test performed at Cornell Diagnostic Laboratory

·
Registered
486 Posts
That is still ok. If you get down in the 20's, worry.
Tick disease, especially babesia, can change vWB blood values for the worse.
Carole

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the info!
He is my neutered rescue boy, I tested him because he seemed to be bruising easily in the groin area. It crossed my mind because he was a breeder relinquish, that perhaps the breeder knew something I didn't and that is why they gave the puppies up.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Oh... if that is the case, then do test for tick diseases. A number of blood disorders can be precipitated by them. AIHA is another concern.
Carole

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly I was likely just being paranoid.
He plays rough, I mean ROUGH with our other dog friends, and I'm pretty sure the bruising was earned.

It's already gone after a few days as well.

He hasn't had a tick to my knowledge, but I will run a test just to be safe.

I just got it in my head that he might have vWB, and was probably being over-reactive. :)

His RBC and coag panel was all normal.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
VWD markers can vary a lot in a single dog depending of many factors - including of when and how the blood sample was taken .

Genetic testing is cheaper and much more reliable (I posted the article somewhere in "Poodle Breeding" section )- sorry that I do not have direct link :(.

If you want more definitive answer, maybe you can try that one :rolffleyes:

Best of luck :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honestly the blood test was dirt cheap, as we work closely with the lab I submitted it too.
I'm not certain that they do the DNA test, I will have to look into it.

I took the blood sample myself, jugular stick.

I don't know if I should bother pursuing this further, to be honest, I still think I was probably being overly concerned.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I had to look it up just out of curiosity. Here's the site I found informative without getting too lengthy.

http://www.cloudnet.com/~jdickson/

It sounds like Carole is bringing it up because it is becoming more prevalent and vets don't always think to test for it. At least that is what I gathered from her posts.

Taxtell, You have to follow your instincts whether you feel anymore testing is needed. However, it sounds like you are in a pretty fortunate position to have such a good relationship with your position at the vet and the lab you use. Is this something you could test for at a reasonable expense? (Rhetorical question).

I dunno. If it were me, I might do the test even if there weren't a concern just because I had the resources to do it, especially if it could save you the extra expense if symptoms started to occur.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Oh thanks BFF !!!

Yes, I also jumped on the search-engine like a maniac LOL and read a bunch of stuff ! Goodness gracious - so many auto-immune AND immune disorders nowadays in both animals and humans :smow: : (((

We truly live in toxic world *sigh...

·
Registered
486 Posts
"Genetic testing is cheaper and much more reliable "

In this instance, it might not be called for, as the low vWB factor can be an indication of a totally different process.
Believe me, I know. Way back when, I had a dog with a factor of 19-
in the end, it was a result of babesia infection.
A year later, he had the DNA test, and is clear.
Not affected, not carrier, but clear.
Carole

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BFF: That is some pretty scary stuff as well.
We don't see it very often, maybe once or twice a year, but still.

The whole vaccine debate has me a bit on edge to be honest. It sometimes seems a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Vaccines can possibly cause it, but so can lepto. :doh:

By and large, it's still one of those 'we're not really sure what causes it' diseases.

·
Registered
486 Posts
That was Paperboy. We went through 10 months of hell, 6 months of antibiotics, and he recovered. Paper is now 10+ years old, and still full of beans.
Carole

·
Registered
486 Posts
As to the vaccine implications, I learned 15 years ago to do minimal vaccines while I was working for a vet in TX. They were getting a lot of cats with cancer at the vaccine sites.
My personal deal is just do the core, as Dr Dodds suggests, and I don't do boosters. I have 5 generations of poodles here, and all are still kicking.
Kitty even killed a racoon a couple years ago- I'm sure her rabies (she had 2, due to showing early) held her in good stead, even 5 years after the last one.
Carole

1 - 20 of 24 Posts