Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 18 month old Standard, intact, male started vomiting mostly bile every few day about 6 weeks ago. Eight day ago the vet prescribed a probiotic, amoxicillin, omeprazole and metronidazole. Until yesterday he had not vomited in about 10 day. Yesterday he vomited, then again this morning about 5 am. That was a first, he was sleeping and woke up retching. I'm a worried momma. Stools are normal and appetite appears normal.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I hope the medications are effective so your spoo is feeling better.

My minipoo has ulcerative colitis so I have a limited experience a dog throwing up bile.

Parasites and/or infection could be the cause but it looks like your vet has covered those potentials with the medications prescribed.

Have you changed your dogs food and treats? Intolerances or allergies to an ingredient could cause irritation of digestive track leading to vomiting bile. Too high fat content is another potential problem. For example if you normally give your dog chicken breast meat and switched to thighs with the skin attached, the additional fat could be enough to irritate your dog if they are sensitive to fat content.

Another issue is what’s going on in your dog’ Life? Did something traumatic occur that could affect digestive? Maybe some unusual loud noises? Maybe contact with another animal upset your dog? Maybe you changed your routine and he’s upset?

The fact that stools and appetite is normal is a good sign.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Sorry your boy hasn't been feeling well and I hope he is better soon. Unfortunately I do not have advise on this. Does it happen at a certain time of day or is it random.

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
Some dogs will vomit a bit of bile when their stomachs are very empty (hunger pukes). If his last full meal is early in the evening and he has to wait a while for breakfast that might be part of it. Perhaps try giving a late night snack.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Some dogs will vomit a bit of bile when their stomachs are very empty (hunger pukes). If his last full meal is early in the evening and he has to wait a while for breakfast that might be part of it. Perhaps try giving a late night snack.
Miss Pix does this too - she did it just this morning. She eats early, about 5:15-5:30 so by the time I take her out at 6:45 she is HANGRY

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I agree with others on it might be hunger pukes......try a late night treat biscuit or two! I give Molly a Old Mother Hubbard small dog biscuit before bedtime because she has her dinner very early in the evening and was doing the same thing! (the green bile on my carpet was hard to get out!) That seems to take care of it! We are both happy now LOL!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Our boy does the hunger pukes too. We regularly give him a snack (often cottage cheese) between 8:30pm and 10pm and if I get up to go to the bathroom in the early morning and find him laying in the Living Room in front of the heat vent, I give him a few chunks of freeze dried beef heart or liver. It definitely helps.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Have the vet rule out pancreatitis. Sounds like hunger.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I agree that pancreatitis should be ruled out. I've just been through this with one of my spoo's. Diet is key. Low fat is essential
Jcris

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
My 3 poodles since last Friday have been sick. My aunt 88 comes for 3 months at a time, and she hold these dogs 24/7 and insists on toppers on their food. So they won't eat, looking for her, them loose bowels. It is hungry puke then not eating the bowels slow down. First nights sleep last night I had since last Thursday. This morning eating a back to normal I think. This happens every time she visits

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yikes Glorybeecosta! No one is allowed to feed my dog but me! Unless I have given specific instructions to do so. Don't allow this person to make your dogs sick......

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Yikes Glorybeecosta! No one is allowed to feed my dog but me! Unless I have given specific instructions to do so. Don't allow this person to make your dogs sick......

She always ask before she feeds them, and they can eat what she gives them, but they want it to continue. When she leaves I do not cook nearly as much, so they don't get the topping, therefore they do not want to eat just plain food. By not eating a few time they puke. Plus they want to be held and they do not get that much attention from me. They did not get sick from what she feed them, as I feed them the same thing, they brought it on themselves. Plus missing her as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts