Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,882 Posts
If a dog's diet is nutritionally complete and the dog is deemed healthy by a vet then why would you want to do those sorts of supplements? I home cook for our dogs so certain vitamins are part of the recipe, but they are there to make the diet nutritionally complete, not as supplements.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I agree with lily on no vitamins being needed if you feed a commercial diet. Probiotics, as my vet says, "can't hurt." I give our dogs Fortiflora by Purina (sold on Amazon) whenever they have to take antibiotics or have digestive issues.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I didn’t know probiotics could hurt a dog. I’d like to learn more about that since I give a teaspoon or two of plain yogurt, but maybe I shouldn’t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
Probiotics CAN'T hurt ;) I give my dogs some of my Fage yogurt every day and they love it.

Oh... “can’t” hurt.
I need to put my glasses on!

(I use Fage yogurt also, she loves it and comes up to me before bedtime to demand her spoonful of it if I forget to give it to her earlier.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the input. I'm new to all of this. I just want to make sure she is happy and healthy. The past week she has been having some digestive issues so vet gave me the Fortiflora by purina pro plan.

Would giving her a skin and coat supp hurt?

·
Premium Member
22,882 Posts
Again if a dog's diet is nutritionally complete and calorically adequate supplements shouldn't be needed. I generally think that it is better to eat "real food" (for us and them) than to be getting major vitamins and such by swallowing handfuls of pills. I think the only thing to really think about giving is probiotics (and that is best done by giving a little plain yogurt).

For anyone who has a product demonstrator or vet's office telling you about the virtues of a product remember they are motivated in the same way those pop up ads we all find so annoying. They want to sell you something. That something may not be useful at all or it may actually cause more problems than it solves or maybe it actually does something useful. Most of the time my money tells me to keep it in my wallet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Again if a dog's diet is nutritionally complete and calorically adequate supplements shouldn't be needed. I generally think that it is better to eat "real food" (for us and them) than to be getting major vitamins and such by swallowing handfuls of pills. I think the only thing to really think about giving is probiotics (and that is best done by giving a little plain yogurt).

For anyone who has a product demonstrator or vet's office telling you about the virtues of a product remember they are motivated in the same way those pop up ads we all find so annoying. They want to sell you something. That something may not be useful at all or it may actually cause more problems than it solves or maybe it actually does something useful. Most of the time my money tells me to keep it in my wallet.
Thank you for the input! We are going to stick with her regular diet. I just want the best for her. I've had get 3 weeks now and love her to death. Thank you!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts