Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much thought and a discussion with a reproduction vet, I decided to go ahead with a regular spay and not an OSS. The risks were less.

Now for two weeks of taking it easy?! Yikes. I’ve put up her puppy playpen again, and every time she is out of the pen she is on leash. She’s sleepy now, but tomorrow should be the big test.

Violet never did have a heat. The vet who did the surgery said from the size of her ovaries/uterus it looks like it was coming in about 3 weeks. She turned 15 months on the 14th, so pretty delayed compared to some dogs. I have heard of other minis being 15-18 months at first heat though.

Here she is in her surgery suit aka pajamas. Stinkin adorable, I think, except for her expression telling me she doesn’t feel very good.

B91C4FD5-CE6C-4E8B-843A-841E9787C1F7.jpeg

And, I have to whine about this because I’ve worked to grow her coat out, her IV shave is a hack job. 😭 Maybe I’ll post photos of it later when she’s feeling better.

Overall, I’m so glad she’s doing well with no complications besides a peg leg haircut.

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Poor baby - she is adorable in her pajamas.

I hope she heals quickly without too much fuss.

Reactions: Newport

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Aww she looks so cute. I'm one week after you with Misha! He was back to trying to play today. Watching a dog play with a ball while wearing a cone is quite funny. He has been a very good sport about not being too active though. Hoping Violet has a similar frame of mind.

It's funny but I feel the same way about the IV shave. I'm thinking of shortening the legs tomorrow so it is less obvious. They actually called me to ask if it was okay to shave because "he has such a cute haircut." But they tried to shave as little as possible so his leg only has a patch missing.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the emotional support, we both appreciate it. Since my last post she’s been outside to relieve herself, taken her pain and anti inflammatory meds, and threw up on the rug. Poor thing is feeling like poop. I’m trying to decide whether to give her more medication or not.

While she was up for her potty break my daughter took this photo of her leg:
2F93B5CA-F2F9-4EC5-B784-5B781EEA7364.jpeg

So, Raindrops, I’ll be watching to see what you do with Misha’s IV leg to get some “harm reduction” inspiration.

This is what her legs looked like before surgery:
9646E13B-58EF-4104-AD93-05EFBE8A4895.jpeg

I’ll just pause a moment to be thankful that the surgery went well enough that all my complaints (and only here on PF where you understand about hair) are just about hair.

She is resting now. I hope she has an easy night. Tomorrow I have a 12-hour work day, so my husband will be taking care of her. He is wonderful, but I feel bad for leaving her. She is having her resilience tested this week.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Thanks for the emotional support, we both appreciate it. Since my last post she’s been outside to relieve herself, taken her pain and anti inflammatory meds, and threw up on the rug. Poor thing is feeling like poop. I’m trying to decide whether to give her more medication or not.

While she was up for her potty break my daughter took this photo of her leg:
View attachment 472093
So, Raindrops, I’ll be watching to see what you do with Misha’s IV leg to get some “harm reduction” inspiration.

This is what her legs looked like before surgery:
View attachment 472094

I’ll just pause a moment to be thankful that the surgery went well enough that all my complaints (and only here on PF where you understand about hair) are just about hair.

She is resting now. I hope she has an easy night. Tomorrow I have a 12-hour work day, so my husband will be taking care of her. He is wonderful, but I feel bad for leaving her. She is having her resilience tested this week.
Poor thing! That really does look like a hack job on the leg. So sad. Misha's isn't shaved so close so I think we will just go down to short legs that are not much longer than his body right now.

They told me feeding after surgery might cause nausea. I waited until night to feed and just did little by little. We did deal with diarrhea and then constipation afterward so that wasn't fun.

·
Premium Member
4,366 Posts
Poor pumpkin - though adorable in the PJ's. Hope recovery is swift - 2 weeks is a long time with a poodle.

·
Premium Member
3,349 Posts
Hope you all get some rest tonight and she has a quick and uneventful recovery.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Wishing her a swift recovery. Yes I understand we are more anxious about any of their surgeries, they don't care, rest for a day and then its like hey mom whats all the fuss aqbout I just want to play, why do I need to stay quiet...

·
Registered
Benjamin Franlkin - Senior Tpoo, Apple Butter - mpoo puppy
96 Posts
I could not stop laughing the first time they did an IV shave on Benjamin Franklin's legs. They looked like tiny little chicken legs because he was only 6 pounds at that time. Shortly after that he had a trip to the groomer's and the grooomer asked if we wanted to have his other wrist shaved too. lol

I'm glad it all went well! I think she's still awfully cute even with a strange looking leg. ;)

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your kind support. Violet has bounced back with full energy. She does not understand why she is on leash all the time, and when we can't watch her she is in a covered x pen. She cries quite pitifully in the x pen, clearly thinking the whole set up is bogus and she has been abandoned. It is a trying time for all, though I am very pleased with her ongoing recovery. Only 11 days to go...please send help, lol.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We are on post op day 12. I removed the surgical suit a couple hours ago, and she is leaving the stitches alone. However her energy is high while the rest of us are exhausted (I've worked a couple 14-hour days). She is making her move now, while she has the upper hand, to take over running the house. She has my husband (a very lovable softie) letting her in and out 5x an hour, adjusting the length of her chew bone in its holder, putting food down over and over- all in an attempt to appease her Queenly demands. I finally put my foot down, put her on leash, and she is hanging out on my lap. I'm sure she'll try to run the world again tomorrow.

Today's observations in no particular order:
1. My poodle finally has a pompon on her leg. It's the same one put there by the vet, still looks rather terrible, but a first pompon on a poodle probably should be celebrated.
2. Three cheers for surgical suits, and one boo for the mats they create. Pro tip: give your poodle a short trim before major surgery. What was I thinking? I mean besides: "Christmas pictures!!"
3. I am really glad I bought that Treat n Train. It tires out her brain. I can't, however, read the paper and work the remote.

I have 10 days off from work beginning tomorrow, and Violet and I have lots of plans for being active and staying out of trouble. Happy New Year to all my poodley friends!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you. I gave Violet a bath and blow dry today, still battling mats from the 12 days of the surgical suit. I might need to take her to the groomer to get on top of it, maybe add a pompon to her other front leg...

Happy New Year!

Reactions: Porkchop

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took Violet to the groomers and sadly asked for her hair to be shortened and the IV shave to be blended. I asked for a Desi band so there would be something fun for me to look forward to. Much to my surprise I got this dog back: Miss Glamorous. I guess there were only two easily removed mats in the armpit areas, so no need for a big cut down. My dematting efforts were more successful than I thought.
36453C85-8425-4824-B0FB-E8ED8CF3A566.jpeg

Of course now I have to comb daily...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts