Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week Violet and I helped my in-laws move into a senior living facility. We can visit them 3 hours a day for two weeks as part of their settling-in process, then due to Covid we will be unable to enter the building. These circumstances have led to Violet having an unforeseen chance to try out a therapy work gig.

Today it looked like this: we enter the building through the grande entrance with Violet on leash. Immediately I can hear people drawing in their breath to give a collective awwww! I am processed through their Covid screening and Violet gets the opportunity to go to the end of her leash to meet a masked admirer. Some people admire from a distance, and tell me stories of their favorite purebred dog- today it was a Dalmation story. Violet appears to enjoy this, except she finds the initial intake of breath upon entering the building a little unnerving. I wish I had a trick for her to perform, but in my focus on loose leash walking, basic obedience and nosework I failed to teach sit pretty and wave. So I have more training goals...

Then we walk down a hallway and go up three flights of stairs. I live in a single story home, so getting to practice stairs is huge for us, so we skip the elevator (plus, Covid). Up until now the stairs I have found have always been 4 or less steps and she wants to leap over them. With a full flight of stairs, she was able to master it. She gave me the funniest look, like "So THIS is what you've been trying to teach me? Very weird way to travel, but I like it!"

We arrived at my in-laws suite, and of course she is glad to see them. Many years ago they had a black mini poodle, so she is dear to them. Due to distance and Covid they have not had much time together. My MIL gave her bits of hamburger while we were talking and Violet sat at her feet adoringly. These two lovely people have been heartsick at having to leave their home of many years, but poor health has made it necessary. It was wonderful to see their sad faces light up with joy while interacting with their poodle grandchild.

Good girl, Violet.

<disclamer: these are unusual circumstances, everyone wears masks, I wear a KN95 respirator and have provided the same to MIL/FIL, the hand sanitizer is in frequent use, we keep six feet distance minimum, and the ventilation is top notch. Really this is not the time to be visiting. I am functioning as their health care navigator and assisting them with legal paperwork>

·
Super Moderator
1,626 Posts
Aww. I'm glad Violet was such a hit. It was always very fulfilling to take Pogo or Snarky over to the nursing home. Snarky in particular loved attention from the elderly residents; he wanted to pretzel himself around everybody. The nursing home was where they got their first elevator ride, too.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
A wonderful goal for you and Violet! Sunshine and Violets, indeed :)

Reactions: Newport

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Violet and I would enjoy doing more of it 🌞💐🐾

·
Registered
419 Posts
You & Violet blessed a lot of folks by brightening their day. That's so nice

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts