Poodle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were down in the basement doing a little editing in the studio room. Violet had found the nub of a bully stick from the day before, and was gnawing on it. I drifted into my work, and out of the corner of my eye I saw she had found a very dead bumble bee on the carpet in the corner, and she was doing her little war dance, going to pick it up. I gave her a couple 'no's and refocused on the work. The next thing I know, she is next to me retching. "What the heck?' She was in distress, and up comes the bully stick nub. I grabbed it quick and into the trash. Thinking that was the end of it , the retching continued and some mucus like stuff came up a couple times and she settled down a little. In it was some pieces of the bumble bee. I looked over to where it was and the back end of it was gone. She could not get in a comfortable spot in bed, and I saw she was still struggling with something. Called the emergency number (it was 9:30pm) for my vet. Of course when he called back a few minutes later, she decided it was time for something to eat, and bark at her reflection in the french doors while I was on the phone. I had some vet-profin from when she snagged one of her toes while playing, and the vet said to give her a dose. That maybe this was all about the bully nub getting lodged and inflammation in her throat. At 1 am, a bunch of vomiting, then back to sleep a while later. At 3:40am more vomit, but mostly mucus. this happened a couple more times, completely stopping by 10am. As I type she seems fine. Good spirits, eating and drinking. I ran through my head what else could she have gotten into in the basement ( it's pretty nice, but is used for storage as well.) but couldn't think of a thing. The only thing that I keep thinking on is the bee. Anybody ever heard of such a thing?

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
You never know what they get into to. I’m glad it wasn’t worse than it was, even though it must have been uncomfortable for her.

I think it must have been the bee also. It’s never happened to me.

Throw away those little ends of chewies you give her. I had a dog almost die because of them, mind you it was rawhide. No more rawhide in this house !

1 - 2 of 2 Posts