Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new to the forum.. what a neat place :)

My tiny toy is at that age.. I feel so bad about giving him the "snip".
I am also so nervous to put him under that sort of procedure.. he is such a precious little guy. He shakes even when we just go to the groomers. He is gonna sh*t his pants when he realizes we are headed to the vets to get his "boys" cut off. YIKES!

Anyway, I asked the breeder if I could bring him to her vet to do the job.. she told me that her vet doesn't do many neuters. But to find a vet who has worked on a large number of tiny toys.

So my question... can anyone recommend a vet in Toronto/surrounding areas who is gentle, trustworthy, and not a rip off? We live part time in Toronto and part time in the States where we have an amazing vet. I'm in TO right now visiting family and would like to have it done while we have a break here. Any help is appreciated. I'd also love to hear of vets to avoid!
We also have a vet in TO, but to be honest they are not the greatest IMO. I don't have great confidence in them, and I feel they gouge for every possible penny they can get. Their fee for a neuter is $550!!!

Thanks in advance for helping!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
You shouldnt have a problem with any vets. Here is Oz we can get a pup done at 8 weeks old now. I dont do them that young but many do. So your pup would be fine. How old.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Sivaro... Snoops is 6 months and definitely old enough and strong enough to endure the procedure. I just can't help but worry :( He is 6lbs.. so tiny!

My brother had an English Staffordshire whom he had brought in for a neuter. Scrappy weighed 15lbs. Someone at the vet office listed him as being 15kg and gave him too much anaesthetic. Needless to say, Scrappy didn't make it.

I'm just so worried about something silly like this happening with my Snoops.. I want to find someone here who is completely competent and reliable. Otherwise, I will just wait till next month when we get home to our regular vet.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Just ring the vets in your area and ask if they do many small dogs. Say you dont want your pup dying from being over anaethatised. Even though you have to sign something, I would take it to the board if anything happened cause that is incompetance.

It doesnt hurt to ask around, perhaps there are ppl in your area that have small dogs that have been done so you can ask them.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good advice Sivaro....

God forbid anything happen! I'd rather have Snoops keep his bollocks than die on the table.. UGH!!!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The vets here think Im the poodle lady from hell :pound: I say if my pup dies you will never hear the end of it. They always asure me that someone keeps an eye on them till they wake so if anything goes wrong they can just wake them up. I now have a travelling vet that comes here. I have had a few younsters done in my home. Its a pretty simple procedure.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've watched a video of the procedure that my regular vet has posted on his website. I think it's great that he shares the imagery with prospective patients.
My boyfriend says we should do it "cowboy style" and just wrap a rubber band around the two nuggets... uhhh.. NO WAY!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here's one

Hi there, I think my vet is quite reliable and dependable, they're all very kind and seem quite knowledgeable. They're in east-end Toronto, at Markham and Eglinton E. 416 261 3322

It's a very well-run place in my opinion. I switched from another vet in the area, mostly because they brought back memories of my sweet Lab who went there, but I have to say I'm happy I made the change.

I've been going there for about a year and a half now, with my budgies and now my toy Sammy. They treat all types of pets, so their knowledge is broad, I'd say.

Wiggy profile photo :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi there, I think my vet is quite reliable and dependable, they're all very kind and seem quite knowledgeable. They're in east-end Toronto, at Markham and Eglinton E. 416 261 3322

It's a very well-run place in my opinion. I switched from another vet in the area, mostly because they brought back memories of my sweet Lab who went there, but I have to say I'm happy I made the change.

I've been going there for about a year and a half now, with my budgies and now my toy Sammy. They treat all types of pets, so their knowledge is broad, I'd say.

Wiggy profile photo :)
Hey tangerineman - this is totally crazy... what's the chance?! That is the vet that I take Snoops to if needed when we are in town. They are the ones whom I don't feel 100% confident with! They are the ones who charge an exorbitant rate for neutering! They are the ones who demand that the pet stay overnight, and they charge you up the wazooo for it.
There is one vet there who is quite nice and friendly (think her name is Marilyn)... but I can't stand the receptionist with the short white/grey bob haircut. I find her to be so condescending. The other heavier set receptionist lady with the short short hair and glasses is a sweetheart.
I try to avoid that place if I can...

Thanks for the suggestion tho :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Too funny. I've really liked everyone.

Interesting you should mention neutering though, Sammy's due for his any day now. I'll check the price at my other vet to see.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just checked the vet we used for our Lab, and got a very detailed quote (all details broken down and priced), and they would charge $534 to neuter a Toy Poodle.

$60 (beginning exam) + $254 (Neutering) + $86 (pre-surgery blood work) + $75 (IV during surgery) + $26 (antibiotics) + $28 (pain management) ($ amounts rounded) = $534

I didn't ask for the cost of a spay but it would be interesting.

This place is on Kingston Road, west of Midland: 416 261 1391 if you want to give them a ding.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just checked the vet we used for our Lab, and got a very detailed quote (all details broken down and priced), and they would charge $534 to neuter a Toy Poodle.

$60 (beginning exam) + $254 (Neutering) + $86 (pre-surgery blood work) + $75 (IV during surgery) + $26 (antibiotics) + $28 (pain management) ($ amounts rounded) = $534

This place is on Kingston Road, west of Midland: 416 261 1391 if you want to give them a ding.
Thanks again! Is this the place you are going to take Sammy? Let me know how it goes! I'm continuing my search, and if I come across anything good I will be sure to let you know!!!!
I've heard good things about Blue Cross on the Danforth @ Broadview. I might give them a call to chat and find out more...
Otherwise, thinking I may wait to get back to the States. My vet there charges $149 for the neuter and that includes Includes Pre-anesthetic Examination, Anesthesia, Surgery, Pulse Oximetry Monitoring, and Post-op Pain and Antibiotic Injection. Then there is a $69.95 charge for Complete Blood Cell Count (CBC): checks for infections, anemia, and clotting problems
Pre-anesthetic Blood Work: includes BUN (kidney), Creatinine (kidney), ALT (liver), Alk Phos (liver and muscles), and T. Protein, Toe Nail Clip.

My girl friend is a vet assistant there as well so I feel pretty good about the place....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ontario SPCA - $60

The Ontario SPCA will spay or neuter a cat or dog for $60. You have to book as much as a couple of months ahead of time, and not surprisingly, they're busy.

Here's the link http://www.spayneuter.ontariospca.ca/

Probably not appropriate for you, cuddleparty, but for anyone else in the area, this is a great deal.

They're located in Newmarket, just north of Toronto, Woodbine and Murlock.

·
Registered
149 Posts
CuddleParty - Might I suggest you look into having the laser surgery neuter... When Lance was done at 14 he had the laser. It cost $60 more on top of the usual neuter fee but they say that there is less pain, less blood loss & quicker healing time. My vet kept Lance overnight (due to his age) & when I picked him up he acted like nothing ever happened. His incision never got that angry red color at all. He only had 2 tiny spots that did & they were around where the sutures went into the skin. He also never "worried" the incision. I guess it never itched him. My vet also does laser spay. I highly recommend doing the laser surgery. I just can't say enough how much.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts

WOW, that is expensive!!! There are no low cost spay/neuter clinics in Canada? We have one here it is $55 with everything included! Of course my vet for a spay is about $150 with everything except the pre surgery blood work which is only $35, but still a huge differance.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again all for the suggestions!

I have looked into the "laser route" with my vet - he told me that he would do it if I were interested. However, it's not really necessary as the regular procedure is fairly quick and not very invasive. He recommends the laser for spays, and larger surgeries more so than neuters.

I have talked it over with the breeder, and I think I am going to wait to get back to the States. I feel best going to my vet there whom I feel quite confident will do a great job. Heck, he even has a video of the procedure posted on his website! He has quite nimble fingers and gets it done quick.

:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts