Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backstory:
So I went on vacation to visit my sister for my birthday last week and my mother agreed to watch Gia (20 months). She was in desperate need of a bath and I didn't have time before leaving. I suggested to my mother that the PetSmart in town might have a day where they do bath specials, otherwise she could bathe her if she was up to it or I would bathe her when I got back. Since I do all Gia's grooming, I left my mother with all her bathing supplies including the HV dryer.

I arrive back Tuesday at my apartment after my trip, I start tackling her grooming. I start on her top knot and notice a huge chunk missing! 20180822_104535_1535062310766.jpg 20180822_121445_1535062337842.jpg It's so uneven and choppy I assume my mom must have cut it, thinking Gia's hair was in her face and couldn't see. I call her and ask and she says no she didn't. I text her pictures and she said she thought it was like that beforehand. I explain that it wasn't because I shaved her face before I left.

That's when she tells me that she took Gia to the vet for a bath!! Why in the world the vet?!?! And the fact that they didn't even tell her that they cut her hair makes me really angry! I had gone through her whole coat over two days before I left leaving only her tail and ears with some small mats. I don't remember her having any matting on her head because she doesn't really have the correct poodle coat. It's soft and wavy on her head making her have a floppy topknot if I keep the length too long. And why was it cut so short? I've only taken her once to Petco for a bath but at least they had the decency to check in with me when they had trouble areas before doing anything.

I know she meant well and Gia loves being there especially since my mom is now retired. She has a nice yard for her to run around in and she takes her to the park regularly. Needless to say I did my best at making her look halfway decent and I had a long chat with my mother about watching my dog from now on. 20180822_215658_1535062421569.jpg 20180822_215833_1535062469276.jpg

Sorry for the long story, I just needed to vent a little, lol.

·
Premium Member
6,297 Posts
I feel for you but a veterinary clinic isn't a groomer, although my vet offers this service they do not blow dry the dogs they only towel dry and then let the dog air dry which will led to matting if a poodle isn't properly combed and brushed out post bath. I kennel my poodles with my vet when I am on vacation but politely decline the complimentary bath during their stay.

·
Premium Member
22,892 Posts
Well that is unfortunate, but it is only hair and it will grow back (faster than you might expect too).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feel for you but a veterinary clinic isn't a groomer, although my vet offers this service they do not blow dry the dogs they only towel dry and then let the dog air dry which will led to matting if a poodle isn't properly combed and brushed out post bath. I kennel my poodles with my vet when I am on vacation but politely decline the complimentary bath during their stay.
This I know which was why I suggested PetSmart to her. After talking to her some more, she told me that our cat had an appointment and I guess she was thinking they could bathe Gia while she was there. I had a long chat with her about why vet's aren't best for baths/grooming. At least now she knows and luckily it's only hair, it's just going to be a frustrating/funny growing out period.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Well, I’m sure it’s hard to see a ruined top knot. She is a cutie regardless! It will grow and you’ll have years of grooming to look forward to.
How fortunate you are that your Mom will watch her, what peace of mind that must be. Maybe next vacation, prepay for a groom and have Mom drop her off. That’ll take care of it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m with CarolineK! You are SO, SO lucky to have a willing and responsible pet sitter. She was trying to be efficient, one stop, done. At least the vet’s stopped at one chunk! I hope you weren’t too harsh with your mom. Remember, you are SO, SO, lucky:)
Well, I’m sure it’s hard to see a ruined top knot. She is a cutie regardless! It will grow and you’ll have years of grooming to look forward to.
How fortunate you are that your Mom will watch her, what peace of mind that must be. Maybe next vacation, prepay for a groom and have Mom drop her off. That’ll take care of it!
Yes I agree it's nice that she is able to watch her for me when I travel. She lives in GA and I'm about two and half hours away from her while my sister lives all the way on the west coast. I know she enjoys having her as company since my dad passed away 1.5 yrs ago and she's by herself. So it benefits both of us and I know Gia is well taken care of and has loads of fun chasing our family cat who hates her, lol!

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
chikachic817 (((HUGS))) - I feel your pain - I would be so upset if someone did that to my Babykins. I take great pride in how beautiful Babykins looks and to have someone hack away like that would be heartbreaking.

The good news is the hair will grow back. Do your best to trim it down to mask the damage. It will grow back fairly quickly and soon be forgotten.

You are lucky to have someone who loves Gia- to watch her and to know that she is great company for your Mom.

I do think there is a lesson here. Grooming poodles is tricky - you can't just take them to any random place for a bath. Even Petsmart could be a problem - some are good and some are not depending on who is working in that particular store. I took my dog to what was a highly rated on Yelp groomer and the guy must have been drunk when he groomed her - there were these stripes of fur on her sides because he didn't clip her evenly. (Needless to say I only went to this guy once). I don't think you can hold your mother to blame at all for what happened and I do think you should apologize to her. She didn't know how tricky poodle grooming is. I don't know about that vet, but my vet doesn't have a groomer on staff - when I needed my elderly cat shaved down they could have done it, but they warned me they would hack away because they aren't groomers. Instead I did it myself because I can do a better job than hacking. The lesson is when you leave her - leave her freshly groomed - no mats, not dirty. Don't leave it to your mother to have her groomed unless you have arranged an appointment with someone that you know will do a good job. As you found out, too many things can go wrong.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Well she is still cute, it's only hair and grows back and how nice of your mom to watch her and even take her for a bath. All in all you are lucky your mom is a willing participant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts