Poodle Forum banner

Vet visit w/ encouraging news

364 3
I had Happy at the military vet on post the other day for her Bordetella vaccination. Her weight is up a bit from 40 to 41.3 lbs. Since her third heat, I've noticed her ribs and hips are less prominent under her fluff. She's been eating the same, so I assume the weight gain is due to hormones and maturity. In my opinion, her current weight feels right. Everything else checked out great.

Anyway, we were also there for a surgical consult since Happy still needs to be spayed. I told them I wanted to talk about a gastropexy when I made the appointment. Unfortunately, the doctor got covid and was unable to make the appointment. The doctor happens to be the facility commander, and as a Colonel, probably has a ton of experience. The staff told me she was eager to meet us and very much wanted to do the surgery. COL Doctor will use Happy surgery as a training opportunity for two new doctors. I was assured the COL will do the surgery with the other two there to observe. Waiting for the doctor to recover from her illness. I should know more soon. Just thought I'd share.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
Happy, Apricot Standard Superstar
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Update: I spoke with the surgeon on the phone today. While I didn't get an exact number of surgeries, she's very experienced in doing the gastropexy. She described the way she does the procedure as less intrusive by going in via a smaller incision on the side. Happy will also have an ovariectomy spay at the same time. I have a good feeling about this and am relieved to have found the right doctor. We're shooting for some time during the first week of April.

· Registered
1,069 Posts
I'm sure all will be fine, and wishing Happy all the very best.
The post op stuff is a bit nervy, but knowing you and Happy, again all will be fine.
It is worth getting this done at the end of the day, we are certainly glad we did it with our Pop.
Just get all the bits and pieces in place for the post op recovery period ..... plan.

Intresting you mention the weight gain - 'I've noticed her ribs and hips are less prominent under her fluff. She's been eating the same, so I assume the weight gain is due to hormones and maturity.'
SNAP !!!
Poppy can have exactly the same descrption. And we think it's maturity - 2 1/2 years old. And possibly winter , bit less ebergetic exercice - rain /mud.
There is also related to this weight gain - post spaying 'bloat'.
Not sure that is what has effected Poppy, she was spayed about a year ago, I think the bloating is more extreme and happens sooner ?
Anyway, just something to watch out for.
All the best !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts