Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rune went to the vet today. All is well. He really liked him. (I'm lucky enough to have a vet that loves poos.) :)

One question though. He weighed 9.4 lbs and was 9 weeks yesterday. Is that normal or on the small side? The tech has a spoo and she pulled his records. He was 18lbs @ 9 weeks. My sisters was about the same. Does that mean anything? Its been a while on the pup front for me. His parents were average sized dogs. Just curious since the others were double.

Of course I only have those 2 to go on so I was hoping for some feedback from some more experienced people here.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Pretty sure Rogan was 9 pounds at 8 weeks, and he's 10 months now and almost 40lbs... his parents are both 35 - 40lbs.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My Stella was 8.7 lbs at 8 1/2 weeks. She has grown so much in the past week!! I am anxious to see how much she weighs when we go back for her 12 week appointment.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Sounds about right to me. :) I wouldn't worry about him being too small. I believe that different lines grow at different rates, how big are his parents?

Romeo was soooo small for his age (could be cause he was a rescue and neglected), only 15 lbs!!! Well, he now weighs 72 to 74 lbs (depending on the season) of pure muscle, not an ounce of fat on him.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
i've noticed a lot of lines vary, they can be lil pups, but they just KEEP GROWING, whereas others can be big as pups, but don't do massive growing, and they can all turn out about the same size!!!! Also of course they do have different builds even when puppies, and I bet ya Paris was light as a pup, cos she's certainly light as an adult!!! LOL

·
Registered
575 Posts
I wouldn't worry to much about his weight at this age being to little unless he's obviously emaciated (or in poor body condition). As I said in your post about foods, you don't want a LB puppy to grow to fast or get to heavy to quickly. One of the best ways to get a spay-footed puppy (aside from genetics) is to have it gain to quickly when it's very young. The legs and feet bear all the weight and they need time for all the bones, muscles, and joints to develop. Too much weight gain to quickly can put stress on their still unhardened bones and under-developed muscles.

I'm sure he's within the normal parameters of growth/gain or the vet would have indicated a concern.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts