Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had Ivy at the vet the other day for an anal gland infection, and the vet was very concerned about her weight. She just turned a year old, is 24" at the withers and weighs 38.8 lbs. She is very thin, but she has a tiny build. I know she needs to fill out a bit, but I wasn't worried because I thought that would happen as she aged (or maybe not; she really does have a very petite bone structure). It never occured to me that her weight could be a concern.

I don't know if this particular vet (it wasn't our normal one at the practice) is just not familliar with Spoos, or if I am wrong.

Any advice??

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Sounds like Ivy is a bit on a thin side, but does she have a healthy appetite? How much does she eat? What do you currently feed her?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
That is pretty thin. What kind of food does she eat? I've found that many Poodles don't tolerate grains very well. You might try moving her to a grain free food and adding additional protein like hamburger, chicken and cheese.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
She is thin, but not dangerously thin. Thin is better then overweight. I would shoot for 43-44lbs.

Olie is 1 year (in a week) 24" and weighs about 46lbs. Although his legs are skinny his body is pretty filled out and if he lost a couple lbs it would not hurt him a bit.

Suri is 23" weighing about 50lbs, maybe less as I cut back some of her food because she was getting a bit heavy. I would like her around 45 - no more.

When I went to raw feeding, my dogs ALL put on weight!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She eats about 5 cups a day of Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. Her stools are perfect, and she seems healthy to me. She has plenty of energy and is constantly on the move.

·
Registered
258 Posts
could you post a resent pic of her? she may be going through a growth spurt and her weight just hasn't caught up w/ her.

Here are some things to ask yourself
1. is she lively, active, responsive, and bright?
2. does she eat readily and is she eating about what she should be for her weight, age according to the label on her food (or raw charts... dep on what you feed)?
3. does she seem content after she is eaten?
4. does she have good muscle tone?

If you answered yes to all of these she is probably at an ok weight, if you answered no to one or more, consider gradually adding a bit more food to her meal until you can answer yes. I like my dogs on the lanky side, but i can answer yes to all of these.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
ugh. Ya all will think I'ms tarving Paris then; she's 25" tall, and 38.5lb at over 4 years old!

She *is* light in condition (I'd like her to be at 40-44lb) but I have stopped worrying about it now. She is a picky eater and incredibly active; everything she eats is burnt off! I feed her a high quality grain free kibble (Orijen) and she has maintained her weight on that a lot better than on others, but she's still light.

I wouldn't fret over what the vet is saying. Sure, up her food intake if you can as she is likely doing a bit of a growth spurt or whatever, but don't worry yourself over her too much. I would LOVE for Paris to be a little heavier, but I haven't been able to manage it so I just make sure she's fit and healthy otherwise now. She is what she is!

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
goodness! my puppy is 5 months, only eats 2 cups a day, and only weighs 6 pounds less, lol! (but my girl has a bigger build)

i think it is possible that your girl just has a small frame. what did your vet suggest you do to help her gain weight?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
My 4 year old spoo Sonja is 23" and weighs 38 lbs she has a very small frame I feed Buffalo Blue she eats about a cup and a half a day is in great shape. I have never had any health problems with her she is just on the small side,I don't think I would worry about your girl if she is eating good.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
hmm, yeah, 5 cups is a lot.... I'd love to get 3 cups a day into Paris and I'm sure she'd be at a good weight then (she IS very energetic and could certainly use that amount!) but as it is she seems to have a measuring cup all of her own, and she rarely eats a bite over 2 cups in any 24hour period. :doh:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
my spoo is 7 1/2 month puppy and is 41-42# and i offer her 2 cups of wellness at every meal. she will eat about 1.5-2 cups. she's really skinny in my opinion, but is picky.

i have a 55 pound lab x who just turned a year and i never fed her more than 4 cups of high quality feed at a meal as a puppy but i bet she'd eat more if i let her!

i'd have her checked for worms because that is a LOT of food!

at a year i imagine poof will be down to about 2.5 cups or so.

she may just have a high metabolism and burn it off, but i'd still have her checked for parasites.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
could you post a resent pic of her? she may be going through a growth spurt and her weight just hasn't caught up w/ her.

Here are some things to ask yourself
1. is she lively, active, responsive, and bright?
2. does she eat readily and is she eating about what she should be for her weight, age according to the label on her food (or raw charts... dep on what you feed)?
3. does she seem content after she is eaten?
4. does she have good muscle tone?

If you answered yes to all of these she is probably at an ok weight, if you answered no to one or more, consider gradually adding a bit more food to her meal until you can answer yes. I like my dogs on the lanky side, but i can answer yes to all of these.
It's a yes to all of them. She seems normal and healthy, just thin. My lab had IBD, and she has none of the issues that he did.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ugh. Ya all will think I'ms tarving Paris then; she's 25" tall, and 38.5lb at over 4 years old!

She *is* light in condition (I'd like her to be at 40-44lb) but I have stopped worrying about it now. She is a picky eater and incredibly active; everything she eats is burnt off! I feed her a high quality grain free kibble (Orijen) and she has maintained her weight on that a lot better than on others, but she's still light.

I wouldn't fret over what the vet is saying. Sure, up her food intake if you can as she is likely doing a bit of a growth spurt or whatever, but don't worry yourself over her too much. I would LOVE for Paris to be a little heavier, but I haven't been able to manage it so I just make sure she's fit and healthy otherwise now. She is what she is!
Paris sounds alot like Ivy. She is very picky about her food, but this is one of the 2 foods that she will eat enough of and do so without any prompting from me. The other food is Eagle Pack Natural, but she lost weight on that food so I switched her back to TOTW. She just burns everything off.

The vet had suggested finding a higher calorie kibble or adding canned food to her diet. I was thinking about mixing some EVO into her current food to see if she will still eat it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts