Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, let me tell you all how much I'm enjoying reading all of the wonderful info on this site...Love it!

I have a 2 1/2 year old blue standard male, Boomerang Blue, and he is such an athlete, as I'm sure you are not surprised. He will play fetch outside until his legs fall off! I have to make him stop and get a drink or take a break, he knows what that means and goes and lays in the shade for a few minutes to rest so he can run some more. I run my dogs almost every single day. Even in the middle of winter, I'm bundled up outside running the dogs! They love it and they need it, and when they come indoors, they are content to lay around and don't get into any trouble. Now Boomerang, or Boomer as we lovingly call him, is very intelligent, very well socialized and very well behaved. I would love to start him in agility and I have taken 2 obedience classes and a beginners agility class at our local dog club. He did great, except I'm having a hard time getting him to "drive" thru the course, he can do it and he knows most of the commands but would just as soon trot thru with no real speed. Now I can motivate him with his favorite toy, which is a ball, but when the ball is in my hand, nothing else exists except the ball! he becomes totally obscessed with the ball and will bark until you throw it or put it away. We actually joke that he has OBD, obscessive ball disorder! In the house we keep it put up because he will NOT stop bringing it to you and he won't eat or drink if the ball is out. Once its taken away and put up, even tho he can see it, he knows he can't have it and he calms right down and is fine. How do I channel that energy and drive in my agility training. I've tried putting the ball at the end of the weave poles but he just ignores them and runs past to get the ball. If I keep it in my hand and don't throw it until after he weaves, he doesn't weave, he just barks like a wild man!
Any suggestions are sooooo very appreciated.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I don't know. This would be a question for an experienced agility trainer. However, I just wanted to say that maybe agility is not his thing. Have you ever thought about Hunt Tests?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have thought about other things with him, he's so smart and so fast, I just don't know if he could hold his attention long enough for hunt test.... but honestly I don't know enough about it to know if that's the case or not. I would also love to get my younger female poodle into agility, she's smaller and very fast too.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
don't use a ball for training for a start then. Obviously his drive is way up high for the ball, but does he fetch other things too?? Then perhaps for training use a different toy that he will still drive to go fetch, but won't loose his mind for? A tug toy or something that you can hold and he can still think, so that when he goes through the tunnel or over the jump you can throw it to make him drive forwards more. You have to teach him the game of driving over/through the agility equipment for his toy, cos at the moment he thinks of fetching as a seperate game to agility and doesn't KNOW you can put them together!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Have you done any shaping or clicker training with Blue...

I have some very food motivated and toy motivated dogs..when I started I could not hold food in my hand because they would be jumping for the food..

I would shape a jump first..I stand at the jump standard looking at the jump (I usually start without a jump bar). If Blue looks or moves toward jump click or mark with a Yes and toss the ball. And I would not toss the ball far..just in front or to the dog if they will catch the ball. Repeat. Slowly up the criteria to moving through the jump standards. You may have to wait Blue out to get the desired behavior but soon he will learn that to get his ball he has to perform some action and will hopefully start offering behaviors so he can get his toy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts