Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems Dutch is very sensitive. Like for instance when he is about to escape through the front door and grab his collar he will yelp like his foot was cut off!! He also will yelp for a good 1-2 min if you accidentally step on him(constantly under feet). Basically he is really vocal when he either gets hurt or doesnt like something. Any explanation to this? For this very reason I have been trying to take it easy on him and I praise him A LOT!!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Well not to be a hard ass but when you step on him and he yelps ignore him, praising or saying your "sorry" only makes matters worse ;) He will learn to stay out from under foot after he gets stepped on and ignored for throwing a fit.

Try not to grab his collar, keep him from even getting to the open door and correct him before he tries to get out.

He's not sensitive he's just being a puppy.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt mean I praised him after getting stepped on, just when he didnt like being led on a leash. If I do accidentally step on him I do say sorry, but I dont take much time to console him. I was just worried he is going to break or something. I do keep reminding myself that he is a baby, and everything is so new to him. So he is not going to break?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I strongly diasgree with the try not to grab his collar comment, although I DO agree that you should idealy be stopping him BEFORE gets as far as halfway out the door. You've got to teach him to wait.

As for grabbing the collar, you NEED to teach him that it is a normal everyday and OK thing that you are reaching for and taking hold of his collar. Statisticly speaking the majority of dog bites happen when a person reaches for and takes hold of a dog's collar. So, in teaching him that it's ok you A) gain another method of control B) head off any potential collar related agressions type issues. Also when you teach him to come when called you need to be able to take hold of his collar then as well. What good is come when called if you can't get hold of your dog once he gets to you. The example I use in my class is that should the unthinkable happen you have to be prepared. If your dog gets away from you and you call him and can't grab hold of him then holw can you hope to regain control and ensure his safety.
I teach the word "gotcha" to my own dogs and to my students and their dogs. To teach have treats at the ready and reach down, in fact to start you might want to be kneeling down at first, and take hold of puppy's collar. Say "Gotcha!" in a happy voice (remember it's a good thing that you've got hold of your baby), and then reward with a treat or a toy or whatever. You get the idea? Might not be a bad idea to teach him to target but we'll save that for later.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
with kids in and out all the time it is hard to control the puppy when dealing with the unexpected!! But from now on when I know the door will be opening i will prompt Dutch to sit. He is such a baby!! Like I said before with the pouting, crying etc, he fits in wonderfully with the human kids in my house!!!!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Gabie, our littliest mini - crys out if she thinks she is going to get hurt lol -she is just scared. He might get scared like that since he is a baby. All the advice about trianing is great! he sounds like a cutie!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I actually had the vet tell me one time my dog was way to
spoiled because of all that yelping and carrying on it did, lol,
she thought I would rescue her if she acted like she way dying
I suppose!:tongue:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
The hand signal for sit, most commonly, is hand out flat palm up, moving upwards from waist his or so. You teach the sit with a lure, which can be food or a toy and the lure moves up and backwards over the puppy's head. In order to keep the lure in site the puppy will usualy sit at which time he is rewarded. This luring becomes your hand signal. I think I have it on video somewhere.... let me see if I can dig it up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts