Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I was wondering if anyone else's Poodle has loose skin. Sisko has very loose skin, and it can be stretch quite far, it doesn't hurt when we stretch it out, I just found out that I have to stretch his skin out so I can fully groom him, and he's still pretty clumsy for being almost 2.

He's be like this ever since he was a younger puppy, but we didn't worry about it since he was younger and still growing a lot.

We wondered if it's Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome because our whole family has it and has loose skin as well, so we know what it looks like. The vet didn't mention his loose skin the last time we went, but Sisko goes back for a check up in April, so we'll mention it when we're there. Thank you?

Here's some pictures

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well, for what it's worth, Jessie is a miniature and only has that extra skin around her scruff. She's a pretty skinny little girl, though.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
My dogs both have loose skin also, although not quite to Sisko's extent! The vet told me it's because they have zero percent body fat. So, Sisko is probably normal, but never a bad idea to ask the vet at your next appointment.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
We wondered if it's Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome because our whole family has it and has loose skin as well, so we know what it looks like. The vet didn't mention his loose skin the last time we went, but Sisko goes back for a check up in April, so we'll mention it when we're there.
I‘m sorry your family has Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. Dogs can get it too. Wouldn’t it be weird if your dog does have it.

My dog and I share ulcerative colitis. Both of us are well controlled on diet.

I once met a woman with her daughters. She was normal size but both daughters had Achondroplasia dwarfism. They also had a miniature poodle they found in a shelter that coincidentally had Achondroplasia dwarfism. They didn’t purposely look for a dog with dwarfism, that’s the dog they found in the shelter and fell in love with.

My dog has some loose skin enough for range of motion in her neck. I think hers is within normal limits. It does appear your dog’s skin is looser but it’s hard to tell. Your vet will be the best judge.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dogs both have loose skin also, although not quite to Sisko's extent! The vet told me it's because they have zero percent body fat. So, Sisko is probably normal, but never a bad idea to ask the vet at your next appointment.
Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a loose skin dog, but I'm worried that Sisko's skin is looser. are your dogs from the same litter or do they have the same parents? Sisko is 55 lbs. I'll check with his vet about his skin. Thank you?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a loose skin dog, but I'm worried that Sisko's skin is looser. are your dogs from the same litter or do they have the same parents? Sisko is 55 lbs. I'll check with his vet about his skin. Thank you?
I really bet Sisko is fine. My dogs are from different litters. Maizie has looser skin than Frosty.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I‘m sorry your family has Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. Dogs can get it too. Wouldn’t it be weird if your dog does have it.

My dog and I share ulcerative colitis. Both of us are well controlled on diet.

I once met a woman with her daughters. She was normal size but both daughters had Achondroplasia dwarfism. They also had a miniature poodle they found in a shelter that coincidentally had Achondroplasia dwarfism. They didn’t purposely look for a dog with dwarfism, that’s the dog they found in the shelter and fell in love with.

My dog has some loose skin enough for range of motion in her neck. I think hers is within normal limits. It does appear your dog’s skin is looser but it’s hard to tell. Your vet will be the best judge.
YES, IT WOULD BE WEIRD! I was thinking the same thing!

I'm sorry you and your dog have Ulcerative Colitis, but I'm happy y'all are taking care of yourselves.

wow!

Okay, thank you!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I saw a holistic vet when Max was a year old or so. He developed a strange growth on his back foot that splayed his toes out and made it so he couldn’t bear weight on that leg. It was huge and looked like something from outer space. They believed it was a wart, although we did not biopsy it. The conventional vet said surgical removal might mean they would have to take part of his foot and they suggested I see a holistic vet. She did laser treatment and it disappeared.

The reason I tell this is the holistic vet asked me if I ever had trouble with my feet, as she said dogs often mirror their owner’s ailments. I did have a growth on my foot that had to be surgically removed, it was a neuroma. Same side of the body as Max’s growth. Coincidence? Maybe, but her comment stuck with me. I’ve talked to a few other people whose dogs have also had similar ailments to theirs.
Dogs do have a symbiotic relationship with us, this idea may not be so far fetched. Of my 4 dogs, Max is also the most bonded to me, of course he is also the only male.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Renn's skin was looser as a young pup but now at 2 only a little around his neck area which is pretty normal. Maybe he just needs to grow into it?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Both of mine have loose skin, Raven much more so than Wren. I wondered about it when I first got her but assumed it was a poodle thing, perhaps the water retriever trait.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Both of mine have loose skin, Raven much more so than Wren. I wondered about it when I first got her but assumed it was a poodle thing, perhaps the water retriever trait.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Okay, thank you! Yeah, it could be a water Retriever thing?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts