Poodle Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Casey, toy poodle - RIP 11/06/2003 to 02/23/2021
224 Posts
I interpret them within the general rule of thumb for puppy exercise, which is 5 mins of exercise per month of puppy age, up to twice a day.

So a four-month-old puppy can tolerate 20 minutes of physical exercise twice a day. Using the Puppy Culture guidelines, that would be two Sniff ‘n’ Strolls. It could also be two 100-200 ft “sustained” walks, with some grassy playtime before or after to pad each session to 20 minutes.

Not only do these guidelines protect a puppy’s joints and growing bones, they force you to get creative with mental exercise and prevent you from building puppy’s stamina to an unsustainable degree.
I follow the same 5 minutes per month rule. On the one hand puppies have so much energy to burn off; on the other hand they exhaust themselves easily.

I have these water bottles attached to a bowl that sling over my shoulder. But when it's hot out, I don't walk my dog so long that she needs that water. On hot days I stay in the shade and only walk for her to do her business plus a little play. Then back inside.

Have you considered getting one of those little hard plastic toddler pools for your yard? Or putting a lawn sprinkler outside? I suspect your pup will have a blast. Have a towel handy. Lol.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I decided to go for a walk to the post office with Elroy this morning. It was 80°F when we left at 10:15ish. At about 5 minutes in, he pooped, and I realized I forgot to replenish my bag supply so we went back home to get them. By the time we got back to the poop spot, it was 10 minutes later and now it was warmer and the sun was higher. I picked up the poop and decided to keep going as I wanted to get the letters into the mail and last I knew, the high for the say was going to be around 80F. The post office is about 1.5 miles away. Anyway, long story short, I regretted that I didn't turn back (for Elroy's sake). It was 11:15am-12 noon for the walk home, the sun was high, it was 90°F+, and shade was sparse. I hadn't realized that the forecast had changed and it was going to be another scorcher. I stopped to let Elroy take breaks in the shade every few hundred feet. We also stopped 3 times for drinks of water, a stream, a brook, and a public water fountain (the kind you toss coins into) on the town green, so he had water. When we got home he was happy to get inside, drink more water, and crash out in the cool AC. So was I! Learned a lesson. Check the current forecast, and no lengthy walks if it's going to be above 80°F. I won't be doing that again if I have a choice.
My Maggie is black. On the hot days we've had, she goes out, pees or poops and back inside ASAP. My apricot, same thing. My GoldenRetriever wants to stay out. I tell him to get his butt in the house. 🤣

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a black spoo in VA. On hot days, we meet his husky friends at the park at 7 am. Then he naps most of the day until I walk him in the evening. I try to do short training games inside to break up the day, but despite being high energy, he really won’t walk in the heat - just lies down on his side pointedly. He is a different animal when it’s under 80.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts