Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, about a month ago, Jager was diagnosed with roundworms and Giardia. He was treated for both and we also gave him his first dose of Sentinel, which is supposed to treat roundwormd, whipworms and hookworms, in addition to heartworms.

So, my vet called me last night and said the sample I dropped off Sunday tested positive for roundworms, whipworms and Giardia. WTH??? He has now had two does of Sentinel. I know it doesn't treat Giardia (and I have NO idea where he is picking that up), but what about the whips and rounds?

I am super confused right now. :confused:

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Yes, the sentinel will take care of rounds, hooks and whips. How many doses of dewormer did he get last month? Perhaps they didnt fully take care of them. The dewormer treats the eggs, so if he has adult rounds then it wont help. I would do 2 doses of dewormer and keep him on the sentinel. Also, have your vet call norvartis (the makers) and they Should cover the worming treatment as they garentee against those. I would still keep him on the sentinel as it is a good product.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I only know that Giardia is nasty little thing : ((( that is sometimes hard to eradicate. In some animals it becomes a chronic nuisance : ((. It usually has a growth spur during some stressful situations or weakened immune system. They can be present and not cause any problems for a dog or can cause diarrhea : (.

If your pup has no problems with it - do not worry too much - his immune system might take care of it .

There is a ton of info on the net, probably - this all is just off the top of my head - some facts that I remember while doing search 3 years ago for my sister's kitten :rolffleyes:

Wishing you the best of luck with eradicating all those "nasties" !!!!!:rant:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys... he is going to get additional dewormer from the vet (I'm picking it up today) and we will stay on the Sentinel. I guess it's just one of those puppy things?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts