Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My name is Danielle and have been in SP for several years. Started with the desire to get a hunting dog but didn't want a Lab, Golden etc. It became a joke with co-workers that we would get a poodle to hunt (they all have Labs etc). We got Ruger as a pup and have trained him ourselves to be a great hunter of upland bird (pheasant) as well as waterfowl (ducks & geese). We have obtained titles in JH, WC & WCX. Did some obedience & rally. Went to PCA 2005. We were hooked.
Then we began the search for a show/breeding/hunting prospect. Wigeon came into the picture. She suceeded at everything we tried. We now have 5SP in the family. They all love to have a job to perform even if it's only picking the tv remote off the floor to hand deliver it to the human. We are currently expecting a litter due in a few days. Mom to be is Wigeon's daughter, Indy. She is a very sweet, social girl, who is as eager to please as her mom. Our other SP are Dagmar & her daughter Goose. Both are sweet, very energetic, but are very easy to control. Dagmar has tried sheep herding and if I was a better handler (more livestock experience) then it could be great fun for us too. Our summer/fall goals are entering PCM WC/WCX in Sept and getting back into UKC conformation to get our GrCH titles.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
... you hunt with your poodles!

I'm training my 6mth old standard for it, prepare to get asked a LOT of questions from me! I have zero experience training hunting dogs, lol. He's my first!

Welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing more about your spoo family and all the wonderful things you do with them!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Welcome - would love to see pics of your spoo family.

ETA - OH - I have seen Wigeon. Pretty girl :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally, I can post a reply (figured it our after spending some time in tech help section)!
The hunting & retriever training is a lot of fun and so rewarding to see them come back with a bird. I'm leading a small training group helping others to prepare for the Poodle Club of Mass. WC/WCX this fall. It is extremely helpful to train in a group (both for handlers & dogs). Love to chat with others working their poodles too.
Working of getting some photo's added but for now those who are interested can see our photo albums on facebook, just seach under DoeValley Standard Poodles. Plenty of hunting poodle pics as well as puppy pics etc.
Update: Indy & Harry's pups were born 4th of July, 3M & 5F will be blue & silver. Now 3 weeks old they are eating some solids, using the litterbox well, and starting to play with each other & toys.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Welcome, Danielle.
I have Dagmar's half sister, Cheers....same dam!
I'm training my 16 month old boy in field...hope to get his WC and JH this fall,all being well.
Cheers has talent in herding, like Dagmar, but unfortunately I wasn't born with the same instinct!! We dropped out after two years!! She's now trialing in Utility and Rally RAE...she's a fabulous girl to work with. I suspect Dagmar and Cheers are very similar temperaments.
Glad to have you here!
Vivienne

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hi Danielle, Good to see you here! I'm Beth G. in Rockport. I've seen Bob D. and Corbin a few times, he's turning out just lovely! Did you ever decide to show the little girl you were having evaluated last time I saw you? Jasper is on hiatus but we're going back in the ring late August.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To answer all of you at once. Yes, we are in North Central Mass.
Good luck with the field work, obedience, & rally. Dagmar is a super happy, bouncy & sweet girl. She's really fun to work with, she tries so hard & with such enthusiasm.
Out of the 2 female puppies I grew out (1 from each litter), I chose to keep the blue from Dagmar/Gabriel. The black Wigeon/Patrick pup was placed in a really great companion home. I do co-own a female littermate from the W/P breeding with Tintlet. Goose (D/G breeding) will make her debute in UKC confor. shortly and we may do some AKC after her hair grows back more (I shaved her down at 4mths). Corbin (AKA sweet red boy) was a super puppy, glad he went to such a great home. Good luck with Jasper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Danielle, Welcome! I just joined PF too.Those are nice photos on your Facebook page. I gave Corbin the pep talk whilst showing him the pictures of his mother (and all other "family" members) swimming across open water to retrieve various objects. So far, Corbin will only go in up to his chest. It's like he doesn't want to get his top knot wet! ;-) This weekend my goal is to get him swimming even if it means me going in with him. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. It's good to hear you guys are doing well.

·
Registered
997 Posts
This weekend my goal is to get him swimming even if it means me going in with him. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Go in with him. :) That's what I did to get my boy over the "what do I do now" moment when he couldn't touch the bottom any more.

·
Registered
276 Posts
. So far, Corbin will only go in up to his chest. It's like he doesn't want to get his top knot wet! ;-) This weekend my goal is to get him swimming even if it means me going in with him. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. It's good to hear you guys are doing well.
I started Troy swimming in his lifejacket. He was a little hesitant at first, but his lifejacket gave him confidence, and now, a year later, he loves to swim.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Bob,
Good to hear from you! We use the swim for steak method. It has worked great with all of them. Ross wades in & feeds them till they are happily swimming on their own. They can't get enough! Getting them past actually touching bottom to where they are floating & needing to paddle is a huge deal for them. Lots of praise, encouragement, & yummy FOOD!

Snorpuddel- I can email you when we get together again. We welcome beginners so you could bring the Poos if you want. The training area we use is in the Royalston, MA area.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK-
Steak, Corbin's PFD and MY swim trunks! I'm determined to get him swimming this weekend. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes!
This is gonna be fun! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts