Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I groom my little guy myself. It really keeps me in tune with him physically and mentally. Anyway, his coat (puppy coat at 5 mos.) is much thicker on his head, ears, back and tail than it is on his legs. I'm worried that he's going to not have nice furry legs like the rest of him.

Do any of your dogs have differences in fur thickness? He's like a fur factory everywhere but especially his hind legs.

·
Premium Member
22,899 Posts
I can't remember whether either of my poodles had unevenness of coat as a puppy. I can say that things changed a lot when coat change happened. I'll be interested to see what others have to say.

Reactions: Charleeann67:)

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I wouldn’t worry, he’s still a puppy and their coats change when they become adults.

Keep in mind that the hair is not evenly distributed over their body just like it isn’t over our head. I find my dog’s fur is thickest in her nape area, just like my own hair. I doubt any poodle has thicker fur on its legs compared to its head, ears back and tail.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Renn is pretty even in thickness, his legs not quite as much but we keep them scissored down so hard to tell He is a pretty fluffy guy. Had to have groomer thin his ears down some, as they were getting very thick on the underside and trying to mat each day.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Poppy had thinner hair on her legs than in other perts of her body when she was a puppy. Coat change fixed that. However other places became more thick.....her shoulders, butt, hips and topknot are crazy thick.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Wilson has incredibly thick leg hair... or I got used to the wispiness of the hair on the legs of my white/apricot. His coat is thick all over. There is a bit of difference between his blue and white, with the blue being thicker. Before coat change his coat did not stand up as well as it does now.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Viking Queen, that is what I'm thinking may happen with Rudy. He is a fur factory everywhere except his back legs. His ears are crazy full and I keep rewarding and trying to get some of that thinned out. He's going to be neutered end of August and they will take care of the ears but my worry is that they will pluck and irritate them and then that starts a whole other game.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts