Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad news - Jackson has been diagnosed with Valley Fever. He starts on Fluconazole for three months. He has a more serious form (it's probably in his bones). The thought of losing him is terrifying.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I'm so sorry for Jackson! :smow: I hope the meds go well for him. How did he get diagnosed?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He was limping and as I went to examine his leg and foot, it was very obvious that there was something wrong with his toe. It was swollen and very tender to the touch. I immediately thought of toe cancer (only because I read that it was not uncommon in standards) and I rushed him to the vet for an x-ray.

The x-rays showed an abnormality in the toe and also further up his leg. We took a blood sample and sent it in for the VF test. Valley Fever is common in Arizona (people and pets) so the vet knew what to look for.

More commonly the symptoms first show up as respiratory problems - coughing, weepy eyes, general snottiness and lethargy. Jackson never had any of those. When the disease is at that stage treatment is pretty successful. When it spreads to outside of the lungs (like to the bones) it is very serious and often deadly.

He's always been such a mellow low key guy. He has been the calmest puppy I've ever had. Now I wonder if he's only been lethargic due to the Valley Fever. He still seems so happy and loves to chase Hoot back and forth across the yard. If it wasn't for the obvious soreness of his foot he would be the picture of good health.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I'm so glad that they caught it early. I hope that all goes well for him. Please keep us posted on how he is doing.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'm so sorry. I've never heard of Valley Fever before. I can't believe you rescued and rehabilitated this boy only to lose him now. I have my fingers crossed for a complete recovery.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank-you all so much. It's a very scary thing to go through. I really appreciate you're support. I hope we've caught it soon enough.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Oh no! I just moved from Arizona three and a half months ago. I didn't know dogs could get Valley Fever. Sorry to hear the bad news. Best wishes to pup and you.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I sure hope all goes well. I haven't heard of it either. I wonder how its so localized and not all over the country.....can felines get it too? Take good care.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Im so sorry to hear about that!! Poor Jackson! I really hope he pulls through this ok and without any lasting effects. He will be in my thoughts!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
P2P I believe Valley Fever is localized to the southwest because it needs a certain kind of soil for the fungus to thrive. And because it's an inhaled fungus, cats can also get the infection.

Did a bit of googling for to find out if cats could also get it.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I have heard of it in humans before. I am so sorry!! I will keep him and your family in my prayers, and hope everything goes better than anyone could have imagined!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thoughts and prayers going out to you tonight. It's so scary to have a dog who is not well. . . I hope all goes beautifully. Please keep us updated. We're thinking of you.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I am so sad to hear that : ((((.

What a nasty disease : ((( !!!!!! I found out it can be found in Nevada, Arizona and even some parts of CA and TX:wacko:, and Mexico too - sheeeshhh :smow:.

I hope they will be able to clear that horrible fungus out of his system : (((.

Is his immune system compromised in any way : ((( so it spread so far : (( ???

Wishing you both best of luck :clover:

PS: somehow I lost my urge to go and garden O-O ...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Hmmm. I have a client that has a westie with fungus in her lungs. This dog has had problems ever since she adopted it at about 1 year of age. I have to ask her if this is what her dog has. It has been on STRONG medicine for one year. The dog seems as healthy as a horse except for a little fatigue and a cough. We figured out it has nothing to do with the grooming noose, or her collar or anything....so she does get groomed every month.

But about 2 weeks ago, the poor little thing had about half of a lung removed. When they opened her up, she still was showing signs of disease/fungus. The felt that surgery was not an option UNTIL the medication worked.....but apparently it was still an ongoing thing.

Somehow this owner qualified for government grant money for this little dog. She has put a lot of her own money into it, but she told me that her prescriptions are covered by her "grant". If you want me to put you in touch with her, I can. But she did tell me her dog came from "down south" or something.....not local to PA. So you all are probably right about it getting spores from a different type of soil.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts