Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My spoo's are due for a vaccine called Ultra DAPL and I'm wondering if it's really necessary. They are both 8 years old and spend very little time around other dogs. They are both healthy wonderful pets. I just don't want to do anything unnecessary.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
My spoo's are due for a vaccine called Ultra DAPL and I'm wondering if it's really necessary. They are both 8 years old and spend very little time around other dogs. They are both healthy wonderful pets. I just don't want to do anything unnecessary.
You can ask for titer testing instead. It's a simple blood draw and it'll tell you if they are already covered, and in all likelihood they are already covered.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Not sure at all that any of these are the vaccine you're mentioning but it's a near match, and the only vaccine type which comes up when googling Ultra DAPL

from the manufacturers site: Ultra Duramune

I then went to Drugs.com ULTRA Duramune DAP for Animal Use - Drugs.com
ULTRA Duramune DAP
This treatment applies to the following species:
Dogs
Company: Elanco US
Canine Distemper-Adenovirus Type 2-Parvovirus Vaccine
Modified Live Virus
For use in animals only
This product has been shown to be effective for vaccination of healthy dogs 6 weeks of age or older against canine distemper, infectious canine hepatitis, canine adenovirus type 2 and canine parvovirus (CPV). The duration of immunity for this product has not been determined. For more information regarding efficacy and safety data, go to productdata.aphis.usda.gov.
This product contains a CPV 2b strain which has been demonstrated effective against disease caused by CPV 2c in puppies with CPV maternal antibody.
Directions For Use
General directions: Aseptically rehydrate this product with Sterile Diluent supplied. Administer one 0.5 mL dose subcutaneously.
Primary vaccination: The presence of maternal antibody is known to interfere with the development of active immunity in dogs and additional boosters will be required in most young animals. All dogs should initially receive one dose of this product and a second dose 2 to 3 weeks later.

Historically, annual revaccination with a single dose has been recommended for this product. The need for this booster has not been established. For advice on revaccination frequency and annual booster vaccinations, consultation with a veterinarian is recommended.
-----------------------------------------------

So this is a combo vaccine with several variations. If this is the vaccine that's due for a booster, I'd find out which specific variation first. Some of these may not be dog to dog transmission, they may be from other animal or insect sources. I'd review them depending on exposure potential to the non dog sources.
A quick search shows the l._'s are all for types of Leptospirosis which is spread in soil or water thru any animal's urine. If you have a yard and bunnies or squirrels, this is a potential for exposure.

I'm not generally a fan of combo vaccines with some few exceptions, the DistemperAdenovirusParvo is one, even if I feel they're warranted.

__

All that said, I'm with Raindrops on doing the titer, particularly for the DAP portion. It very likely will cost more but if they come back showing the immunity is still there, you're good. The results might give an indication of how long the immunity can last.

My vet was pretty excited when I said I wanted to titer. He got the info for me then the world went upside down, so we're holding off a bit. As you mentioned, our exposure is severely limited and likely will be for a while yet.
From his email:

"We can run titers for Distemper/Parvo and Lepto, which tests for the concentration of antibodies in the blood, and gives us a measure of immunity against these diseases. However, the Lepto titers don't correlate as well with immunity as the Distemper/Parvo titers.

We can run the vaccine titers anytime, we would just need to collect a small blood sample, send them to an outside lab, and have results in about 5-7 days. The cost of the titer for Distemper/Parvo is $119.99 and $149.99 for Lepto."

So just for comparison, that's the cost of the testing in Johnson County Kansas at my vet's.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The price is similar at my vet's. My breeder says it's much cheaper to send the blood samples in yourself, but I opted to just have the vet do it because I felt it would be a more worry free process. Misha's not a huge fan of the blood draw but still willing to take treats during it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts