Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious. Many vaccines.. well not too many any more.. but it used to be that majority of our vaccines contained a neurotoxin called thymerocol which would act like a immunosupressor so that the viri would not be destroyed before antibodies could be made. From what I understand it was found unessential, or atleast unessential in the dosage its used in. (Regardless I never vaccinate my self except for mandatory vaccinations for school.)

I was wondering if dog vaccines contain any neurotoxins, or if there is certain guidlines for vaccinating like "Use dead vaccine for [blank]" Then in a month use live for [Blank]?

And are their some that are completely unnecessary. B/c at least for us it seems like there is a vaccine for everything and half of those viri you are never exposed to in your life.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I think we overvaccinate our domestic pets. Thinking is changing now, but for most vaccines it's not necessary to give them as often as we do. We also vaccinate too early.

We now follow a limited vaccination protocol for pups and for adult dogs. Instead of yearly vaccines, we do titers to ensure they are still covered. We have had 3 PWDs die from cancer, which is why we switched to RAW and limited vaccines. Our current dog was weaned onto raw and has only ever had limited vaccines - it will be interesting to see what happens with her in the future.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just outta curiousity. How much to tilters cost? Not much I assume since its just an antibody count right?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I vaccinate my dogs when I HAVE to, i.e. if they need to be boarded, but otherwise my dogs only get a rabies vaccine every 5 years.
I'm not sure about the neurotoxins in canine vaccines, but there are several cases of puppies having reactions to vaccines which caused neurological damage. I know one case on another dog forum of a rough coated collie that had this happen. She was put into therapy right as symptoms developed and now she is pretty much your average dog, but not all cases are so lucky.

I would talk to your vet, voice your concerns, stick to your guns and go with your gut.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Just outta curiousity. How much to tilters cost? Not much I assume since its just an antibody count right?
LOTS! We were going to have bella's titers run for parvo and distemper as she had 2 rounds by the breeder then the vet felt they were too early and wanted to do 2 more rounds (and this is a holistic vet). I brought her in, I believe the number was $250. The vaccinations were about $15. Sadly, as my husband was laid off from work that morning, we felt we had to make the choice to go with the vaccine. In a financially 'perfect' world I'd have gone with the titers. We plan to have her titers checked next year, though.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Bailey get's rabies every few years, he's little and no will make a big deal out of it. He hasn't had the others in a while and I don't plan on getting them. He's 10 and healthy, I don't want to jink it. Harley get rabies every year. In TX the state says every three, but the county/city can require it every year, which mine does, ugh. He's a Rottweiler and I don't want to give anyone an excuse to label me an irresponsible onwer. In, my book doing your research about vaccines and deciding when to do it, makes you responsible, but people here (PD and AC) are too ignorant to realize that. Harley also get his other vaccines pretty regularly b/c I usually board him at the vets, when I go out of town.

I'm interested to hear from anyone that shows. I'm reading Show Me! and she recommend all vaccines for show dogs b/c they travel and are exposed to so many other dogs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts