Poodle Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I remember having adverse reactions to vaccinations as a kid, so I expect my pets to have some reaction. Miracle had to get all of her shots in the spring, and I chose to do them the same day. She was very lethargic afterwards, but some of that could have been due to the stress of the vet visit. By the next morning, though, she was herself again. Other than the time Jasper vomited as a puppy after having a vaccine, he's been fine as well. My dogs have been lucky in his regard.

I can very much understand, though, that if a dog reacts negatively to a vaccine why it would be important to proceed with caution. I have never given the Lyme vaccination to my dogs, but I will definitely consider it for the summer months if I going to take them for walks in wooded areas.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Recently, I read about this horrible, horrible disease called IMHA. It seems that people believe that it is directly related to pet vaccinations.
I think the issue with immune system concerns is that poodles have been inbred. In spoos certain gene types linked to wonky immune systems have been concentrated in the breed. (Check out the poodle diversity project information from UC Davis for more info.) Failing to vaccinate won't fix the underlying genetic problems. It just gets you a dog that's susceptible to communicable diseases as well as autoimmune diseases.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I live in the far north, in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and will be traveling to Las Cruses, New Mexico which is near the border, in a couple of weeks. I imaging they have stuff down south that we don't have. Is there anything I should prepare him for down south?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Ah, no flea protection. Will do. Thanks
I called a doggie day care down there and they said Rabies Cert, Distemper Parvo, Bordatella Vac.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'd run across this info some months back showing how the territory of insects is changing and how that might require a change in immunizations and preventatives.
I copied the article with my ad blocker off, but the article is still available online.

·
Premium Member
22,391 Posts
I'd run across this info some months back showing how the territory of insects is changing and how that might require a change in immunizations and preventatives.
I copied the article with my ad blocker off, but the article is still available online.

Yet another consequence of climate change. Climate change is real folks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, does your pet insurance include vaccinations? or do you know such insurance? I`ve found some info about various insurances on Petinsurancefinder already, but I want to get more, so share your experience, please.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I had the typical puppy vaccines done for my toy poodle (parvo, rabies). My vet also recommended the Lepto vaccine because she said she's seen a few dogs in the past few years get sick from Lepto, and they were all small dogs (mostly yorkies). I'm a big believer in the importance of vaccines, especially for children, so I went ahead and had my toy poodle get the first Lepto shot and it was horrible; he didn't move for at least 12 hours. I would pick him up to take him outside on the grass to potty, and he would fall into the grass, couldn't even stand up. I was so upset, I thought I had just killed my dog! After that, my vet still wanted to give him the second Lepto shot in the series, and I said no way.
Also wanted to note that my toy poodle's breeder had told me not to give either the Lyme or Lepto vaccines but I decided to go ahead anyway due to the vet's strong support of the Lepto vaccine.

On another note, for very small dogs like toy poodles, it's best to separate the shots, i.e. no more than one vaccine at a time. Every vaccine vial dose is the same size, whether it's for a 3 pound toy poodle puppy or a 100 pound Great Dane!! It's not done by the weight of the dog, one size supposedly fits all. That was shocking to me!
Thanks for the information. I hope your pup is okay!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here in Illinois, rabies is the only vaccine that is required by law. One year or three year/s are available. My 3.5# chihuahua gets only the rabies vaccines. She had a terrible reaction to the combo vaccine. She is a house dog, however, so doesn't go out. The titers are considered I believe.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
My Spoo also had a reaction to the combo vaccine. And my vet said they are not available separately. Does anyone know if it is possible to get them separately so that the vaccines can be spread apart time wise?

We do titers also after the original vaccines . Strangely they are more expensive though.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
When traveling to other countries I discovered some do not accept the 3 year rabies, and require your dog to have another rabies shot even if you just had one 13 months ago.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
My vet also recommended the Lepto vaccine because she said she's seen a few dogs in the past few years get sick from Lepto, and they were all small dogs (mostly yorkies). I'm a big believer in the importance of vaccines, especially for children,

... so I went ahead and had my toy poodle get the first Lepto shot and it was horrible; he didn't move for at least 12 hours. I would pick him up to take him outside on the grass to potty, and he would fall into the grass, couldn't even stand up. I was so upset, I thought I had just killed my dog!

After that, my vet still wanted to give him the second Lepto shot in the series, and I said no way.
Also wanted to note that my toy poodle's breeder had told me not to give either the Lyme or Lepto vaccines but I decided to go ahead anyway due to the vet's strong support of the Lepto vaccine.
I would change vets!

·
Registered
204 Posts
My Spoo also had a reaction to the combo vaccine. And my vet said they are not available separately. Does anyone know if it is possible to get them separately so that the vaccines can be spread apart time wise?

We do titers also after the original vaccines . Strangely they are more expensive though.
Lepto comes on it's own, as does Parvo. But Distemper only comes with Adenovirus and Parvo (at minimum, can have additional ones as well). A lot of coons and coyotes carry distemper so it's usually recommended.
Has your vet discussed pretreating with an antihistamine? That's what I would do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would change vets!
Liciano, thank you, my pup is 11 months old now and he's very healthy, thank God. I should have followed the breeder's advice and not given my toy the lepto vaccine, but instead I went with the vet's strong advice to have it done. I definitely won't be doing that again! My little guy didn't have any reactions to the parvo, distemper or rabies, which is great.

Kontiki, I go to a vet hospital with about 10 different veterinarians, and yes, I'm switching to another vet in the practice. The other thing I didn't like was that when I asked them to separate out the shots for my toy puppy (who was 3 pounds at the time), this vet charged me a check up visit fee for each separate shot! So, it ended up costing me a fortune to get all his puppy vaccinations done because I wanted only one shot at each visit, and for each visit they charged me both a check up fee and the vaccination fee (even though the only reason I was in every 4 weeks was because I was separating out the shots!) Ugh. I know they have to make money, but that just seemed so wrong.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts