Poodle Forum banner

Vaccinations and preventative maintenance

1672 Views 9 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  poodleholic
I read so many different things on this I am truly having a hard time with what I should/should not do.

SO my questions to ALL would be in regards to yearly (after the first year shots)- what do you do with your dogs for monthly or yearly PM? I know some states vary this question in regards to rabies.

Also what do you use if anything for a heart worm medication and fleas?

I hear of the downside in some of this now with cancers etc and it concerns me, AS Well how do the Vets feel about these things? I know when I mention breeder mine rolls his eyes, just being honest and it can be hard at times to get the questions answered that I want so I am learning to change my delivery on that because I respect and have learned a lot from breeders and many on here.

Thanks!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,293 Posts
This is just what I do, and I am positive people will disagree. People get very passionate about their opinons on these matters, and I'm not interested in a debate, just giving you MY opinion. :)

As you know I work for a vet and take Flip with me just about every day...so he is exposed to a lot of things other dogs might not be, so bear that in mind.

Yearly, I do DHLPP-C (distemper), and will be doing a heartworm I live in a state with a lot of mosquitos. This coming rabies will be a three year, I will likely do Lymes in the summer, and I have to do Bordatella because he is exposed to the virus frequently.
I give him a heartguard and frontline plus once per month as well.

There are folks on this board who don't believe in vaccinating at all, and like children, this is their decision, I just hope they don't take their dogs out where they are exposed to such things frequently. We are really seeing a 'comeback' of distemper and parvo lately, whichi is likely a result of the 'anti-vaccination' people. When I first started as a tech, I very very rarely saw any diseases like distemper and parvo, and when we did it was in the very rural areas (we did housecalls, etc.) of the state. I know I'll get flamed for this, but I'm just giving my opinion. There is no way in heck I would let my dogs go unvaccinated, period. This goes for our cat too...and mom's horses.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.