Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a theoretical question ...

If some pups in the litter have one vaccination protocol and some another - would it in any way possibly effect the 2 separate groups ???

Are any of the vaccines "live" and could possibly effect puppy that did not get the vaccine at the same time as others :rolffleyes:

Thanks a bunch in advance :beauty:

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm not sure if any of the vaccines given to dogs are 'live' but I do know that anyone given a live polio vaccine actually shed the virus in their feces and become a threat to others. That's why they've stopped the 'live' polio vaccine in Canada.
I'll check your question out...it's a good one.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much Vibrant!!!!

:flowers::):):rose:

Can not wait to hear the result of your research : )))

·
Registered
276 Posts
I checked with my hubby (a physician) and the Merck Veterinary Manual, as well as numerous other websites. As I suspected, vaccines given today are attenuated and pose no threat of disease in either the recipient or those around them.
The problem with overvaccination is, of course, an autoimmune response, which is unrelated to what we're talking about here.
Further research...modified live vaccines used in animals can cause shedding of the antigen, but not the wild strain which will cause disease.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I checked with my hubby (a physician) and the Merck Veterinary Manual, as well as numerous other websites. As I suspected, vaccines given today are attenuated and pose no threat of disease in either the recipient or those around them.
The problem with overvaccination is, of course, an autoimmune response, which is unrelated to what we're talking about here.
Further research...modified live vaccines used in animals can cause shedding of the antigen, but not the wild strain which will cause disease.
WHEW!! One less thing to worry about, which is always a good thing! Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts