Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo me and hubby went to Hilton Head last week. We left Riggs with our son. My very sweet puppy , that listens very well so far became a Barker while we were gone. He barked all day and night ! At home he sleeps all night in the bed with us. He was in their bed and still barked! Last night he slept like a baby with us. Could he have just missed us?

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Most poodles I've met bark and especially the toys. Your puppy might just miss you very much or interruption in his routine. He might just not be used to it. Don't worry, you can train them not to bark. To do this, you must teach them to bark on command and then to teach them to not bark on command. I've done youtube dog howling videos to set off my very vocal Maremma Sheepdog. She is a very vocal breed and now she only barks once to alert. Another thing that helped tremendously was using a prong collar or a martingale. This allows for correction when they bark.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Some dogs bark out of fear. They hear a noise and they’re scared, so they bark. Your dog might have felt insecure because you (his security blanket and protectors) were gone. Now he feels safe again and has no need to bark.

That would be my explanation for it if my own dogs did that.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Maybe Riggs felt that he was responsible for protecting the pack while you weren’t around to handle security. When you returned he could hand that role back and relax, whew.
Good job Riggs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
He was distressed that you were gone and I think Dechi is right, probably hearing odd noises and feeling insecure. Not protecting, and certainly shouldn't be punished. Any time a dog is in a new environment, they are usually out of sorts for at least a day or two. Sensitive dogs need more time to adjust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts