Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tiny 5# toy poodle. Usually I take her outside - however living in Florida we been know to have non-stop rain. Bella hates the rain. One day in desperation I throw one of my mothers bed pads on the floor by the door. I was surprised when she went right over and did her business. Obviously her breeder had pad trained her. Now I use them a lot - not for just rain - but cold, her tiny body doesn't do well in the cold.

Several birds of prey circle over my street and I'm seriously worried about a hawk attack. It seems to be on the rise and my vet told me to be careful as when the food source is diminished, small dogs and cats are easy prey. So I find myself using the piddle pad more than I thought I would.

Never thought I'd use them - but I do.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I have a 3.5 pound I have used them with and wish I had trained all mine for potty patch, so much easier. Sage pees on them but she walks so can't let her use for #2. Bella would never consider using one. Love them Potty Patches

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
The one I have is a tray with a grate all plastic, and artificial turf. I line the bottom with re paper potty patch in the bag. Naturally I pic up #2 and flush and change every other day, no odor I spray off with the garden hose and let outside to dry. I use the throw away when traveling. There is a really nice on that automatically wraps up the stuff when the dogs steps off it. Considering getting one

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I was so used to my dogs going outside that I never considered them until I moved to an apartment. Jasper, my maltipoo, refuses to even try one, but I didn't really go through the training process with him. I looked into all of the fake turf and "potty patches," but they are expensive and there are cheaper options.

Miracle refuses to go on newspaper, but she will go on a washable pad, which sounds like what Bella uses. Miracle uses it when she can't hold herself when I am at work, and she also had to use it a few weeks back when I had the flu and was too ill to take her outside. I would definitely keep reinforcing her use of a pad if it makes life easier for you and your dog.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
There are days when I wish my minipoo was training to use them. It would come in handy when there's a horrible storm outside.

I bought a package of pee pads to have when I brought my dog home (she was almost a year old and completely toilet trained). It was winter and I thought it would be nice - she took one look at the paper - picked it up and started to shred it. I also have cats and realized I could have one heck of a mess between cats using it to poop (doggie toosie rolls) and my dog shredding.

I'm officially jealous of those of you who have dogs trained to use them - and not abuse them.

Reactions: kontiki

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
My Molly is 'cross trained' hahaha! And I just did it in the last few months because of my health! (I have bad days) Molly was outdoor trained, and then trained to 'potty on command' and with that training taught, she had an easy time with being trained to a potty pad! So convenient when you live in an Apt and just don't have the energy to go for a potty walk! (Especially the late evening one!) Molly is 6 years old!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I have been trying to 'cross-train'. Sadly my spoo is so well trained he just absolutely refuses to go inside.

Sometimes he has held it 12 hours when I am traveling. It concerns me as this is not healthy.

He absolutely refuses to use the airport dog comfort stations. He will go in , trot around and barely even sniff, cringe, and rush out. He is very sensitive to chemicals, and obviously thinks the ones in there are horrid.

The only way he will go when flying is if I take him clear out to a parking lot, or a fire hydrant, etc. But then I have to go clear back through security! We need at least a two hour layover to be able to do it.

I was so proud of him when he was so well potty trained! My next dog will also be trained to go on a potty pad. Then maybe it would go in an airplane toilet on the pad, or in an airport restroom on a pad..... and I could just throw it in a trash can. Big sigh.

·
Registered
12,223 Posts
We have a compromise - bathmats. On the rare occasions one of the dogs is really desperate and can't wake me, or I am out, they use the mat in the bathroom and I then chuck it in the washing machine. Like others I am seriously considering training it next time around - with a small dog, increasingly creaky joints and ever more extreme weather it can be very useful, especially at 3am on a cold and windy morning!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
If I had a 5 lb dog I would do the same. Easy to clean up, no need for an accident. those patches ae good ideas too. If ever I have a small dog again I will train them to use one. Also ideal for people who work all day and have no one to take out dog during the day.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I still swear by them and would always have them cross trained as 2 of mine are. The older one would not think of using one, she has held herself for 72 hours. I panicked and called the vet, he said she will when she can't hold it, sure enough I left her out and she went on the patio, which she had never done and has not done again. She look so ashamed, naturally I picked her up and cuddled her to let her know I was not made.

My dogs stay much cleaner than my friends who always put them outside. My sage will go it it at during the night, but outside during the day. Cayenne goes inside on it our outside either one.

I have the turf grass, that sits in a tray, I put the potty patches under the grate that keeps the turf grass in place and never have a problem

1 - 11 of 11 Posts