Poodle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I'm new here to the forum. I have a Standard Parti Poodle and I'm trying to groom myself with alittle help from taking her every so often to the groomers.
My Question is: I am looking at spending $100 on a pair of Kenchii Blenders. Is there some other type/brand that is very compairable to them that I could buy.
Also, I really don't know how many teeth I want in a pair. I'm looking at using the pair to blend in and finish up the look, so to speak. (If that makes any sense).
Thanks

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
For poodles you do not need blending shears at all. I would keep my $$ and put it aside either for something fun or for some vet expenses.

Reactions: Johanna

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I'll second lily cd re - one does not use blending shears on a poodle. Poodle hair is scissored with curved and straight shears (depending on the body part). Most pet clips can be done with a clipper on the neck and body, straight shears on the legs except for the stifle area on the rear legs, and curved shears on the topknot, tail, and stifle. There is no thinning or blending at all.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I've never needed blenders. I have heard there are some people who use them on poodles though. Maybe they are used for more of a teddy bear look where the hair is thinned to get a scraggly scruffy look.

·
Registered
706 Posts
At one of the shows I was at I noticed a very good breeder who shows both AKC/UKC who is also a pro groomer and I watched her go all over her dog with blenders. The groom was pretty awesome.

I have a pair of blenders but haven’t really used them much.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Blenders or chunkers (most people use the terms interchangably) are fabulous if you get the right ones, the general rule is -the finer the coat the wider the gap between teeth.
You really have to be able to test them though, I have two pairs of 8' 26 tooth chunkers, my Kenchii Scorpions are great for heavier double coated dogs-Goldies, BCs etc but absolutely useless on poodles, my Anvils however are amazing and give a much nicer smoother finish, I mostly only use straights for taking down bulk coat ie when changing pattern or if I've left a dog without scissoring for more than a month and even then i go over them with the chunkers afterwards.

·
Super Moderator
TeknoPOP!
702 Posts
I would use Chunkers for sure but Blenders, nope, maybe between the eyes but that’s about it. Chunkers are very forgiving and leave a nice natural finish on poodle coats. I use Kenchii almost exclusively. Really great shears.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I use Kenchi blenders on areas were I’ve transitioned from one blade size to another with the clippers. Mostly this is over the legs. I’m not a very experienced groomer, the closure of groomer during Covid made it a necessity to keep the dogs comfortable. I don’t think they’re an essential but I found that they helped achieve a neater finish than the clipper in an inexperienced hand. I also found them less intimidating to use than my straight and curved ones as they didn’t remove as much hair.

·
Super Moderator
TeknoPOP!
702 Posts
What are chunkers?
Here are a couple of my shears. On the top left is a Chunker, bottom left is a blender, top right is a thinner, bottom right is kind of in between blender and thinner. The difference is the teeth type, number of teeth, and direction of blade. Some chunkers have two sides with teeth and no blade side. Funny enough, the top right are just a cheap little pair I found and I think they cut great. They go through poodle coats with no rough scissor lines with minimal effort.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.