Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I did something so stupid today.. I took my poodle puppy (11 weeks old) to a dog park and he played with some dogs over there:(...He is updated on all of his shots. My concern is about Parvo. He got his first Parvo shot on December and the second Parvo shot on January 2nd. He has appointment for the third shots and other boosters in two days. I just heard that Parvo is very common in the city that I live in... now I am freaking out that maybe he got that disease today in that dog park. I already washed him and cleaned my house... but I cannot stop thinking about it. I really appreciate if you please let me know your experience/advices. Shoud I be worried???
Thank you

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm going to be straight up with you: an 11-week old pup has no business on a dog park.
Maybe, if your dog park is well regulated and frequented by well socialized dogs, you could visit starting 10 days after his vaccines are completed, but also no younger than 4 or 5 months in my opinion. A young puppy needs only one experience of being overwhelmed by an over-eager adult dog, to become dog-reactive. Far better to plan play dates with dogs that you know will be gentle and match your puppy's play energy.
I am not a fan of dog parks in general, in my experience they are often frequented by people who don't know or don't care to monitor their dog and step in when necessary. I'm sure that there are some that are great experiences for all, but do be careful.
As far as health: Parvo, kennel cough, and parasites are among the common contagious diseases you can encounter at a dog park. Obviously yours does not require vaccination to attend, so you can expect that infected dogs have been present at some point. Your pup must have had it's first vaccine very young, you can basically discount it as maternal antibodies will have kept it from causing any response. So having had only one actual vaccine, yes your dog is at risk.
Your reaction to clean your dog and house was good, both Parvo and parasites are carried in feces and often come in on paws or shoes. Generally you would know in 3-5 days whether your pup has picked anything up. Do speak to your vet about differentiating between a vaccine reaction and signs of illness.
Please know, I don't mean to scare you or worry you more than you are. It's a common and easy mistake to make, and good for you for realizing it. You will not help anybody by getting flustered, just watch your little one for lethargy, coughing, vomiting, diarrhea, not eating.
Your vet can give you a broad-spectrum dewormer to cover that aspect.
All the best and I hope your puppy stays healthy!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Hi and Welcome! I saw your other post as well.

This is good advice, and good for you for recognizing the possibilities of danger.

I look to be corrected if this isn't good advice also, but you'll generally want to keep your not-fully-vaccinated pup "paws off the ground" in areas where dogs which are unknown, potentially unhealthy or not a good match for size and play style can be found. This covers indoors and outdoors.

So, how do you keep up socialization? My vet ran a middle ground, it was ok to walk around our neighborhood but not a dog park. Puppy classes? Great! Known, vaccinated dogs of family or friends? Sure! Home Depot? Absolutely, but in a cart, maybe in a carrier of some sort. Pet Stores? Not yet.

Depending on your pup's size til fully vaccinated, a carrier is a good option for taking him or her with you, to be able to meet people and see new things.

Hint Hint We love pictures :). What's you pup's name? Toy? Mini? Standard?

Reactions: Sarah123

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to be straight up with you: an 11-week old pup has no business on a dog park.
Maybe, if your dog park is well regulated and frequented by well socialized dogs, you could visit starting 10 days after his vaccines are completed, but also no younger than 4 or 5 months in my opinion. A young puppy needs only one experience of being overwhelmed by an over-eager adult dog, to become dog-reactive. Far better to plan play dates with dogs that you know will be gentle and match your puppy's play energy.
I am not a fan of dog parks in general, in my experience they are often frequented by people who don't know or don't care to monitor their dog and step in when necessary. I'm sure that there are some that are great experiences for all, but do be careful.
As far as health: Parvo, kennel cough, and parasites are among the common contagious diseases you can encounter at a dog park. Obviously yours does not require vaccination to attend, so you can expect that infected dogs have been present at some point. Your pup must have had it's first vaccine very young, you can basically discount it as maternal antibodies will have kept it from causing any response. So having had only one actual vaccine, yes your dog is at risk.
Your reaction to clean your dog and house was good, both Parvo and parasites are carried in feces and often come in on paws or shoes. Generally you would know in 3-5 days whether your pup has picked anything up. Do speak to your vet about differentiating between a vaccine reaction and signs of illness.
Please know, I don't mean to scare you or worry you more than you are. It's a common and easy mistake to make, and good for you for realizing it. You will not help anybody by getting flustered, just watch your little one for lethargy, coughing, vomiting, diarrhea, not eating.
Your vet can give you a broad-spectrum dewormer to cover that aspect.
All the best and I hope your puppy stays healthy!
I understand. Thank you. I
Hi and Welcome! I saw your other post as well.

This is good advice, and good for you for recognizing the possibilities of danger.

I look to be corrected if this isn't good advice also, but you'll generally want to keep your not-fully-vaccinated pup "paws off the ground" in areas where dogs which are unknown, potentially unhealthy or not a good match for size and play style can be found. This covers indoors and outdoors.

So, how do you keep up socialization? My vet ran a middle ground, it was ok to walk around our neighborhood but not a dog park. Puppy classes? Great! Known, vaccinated dogs of family or friends? Sure! Home Depot? Absolutely, but in a cart, maybe in a carrier of some sort. Pet Stores? Not yet.

Depending on your pup's size til fully vaccinated, a carrier is a good option for taking him or her with you, to be able to meet people and see new things.

Hint Hint We love pictures :). What's you pup's name? Toy? Mini? Standard?
He is standard. His name is Xerxes. I love the way he sleeps:)

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Great name! Hi Xerxes :).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet little boy!

Peggy and I have our fingers and paws crossed that all will be well. Take your mind off your worries by being proactive and reading about positive socialization schedules.

This book is your new best friend:

View attachment 463912
Thank you so much for the nice thought, advice, and the book!
I try to be positive. Hopefully everything be ok. I learned my lesson! 1579842948977.png

·
Premium Member
23,170 Posts
With two doses done Xerxes should already have well developed immunity for parvo so I don't think that is the worst part of the trip to the dog park is the big deal part of this. I agree with comments about not taking such a young dog to a dog park. In many dog parks there will be clueless people with rude dogs. If a poorly mannered/aggressive dog even just scares a young dog you could spend ages having to try to train away (or even possibly medicate) PTSD. Yes dogs can experience PTSD just as people do. Lily has had some traumatic events in her life that greatly altered her behavior. Thankfully she has proven to be resilient and CBD oil has be a sufficient pharmacological item to help her recover.

And I agree about the Ian Dunbar reading assignment. That book should be required for all new and wannabe puppy owners.

Reactions: Sarah123
1 - 9 of 9 Posts