Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I did something so stupid today.. I took my poodle puppy (11 weeks old) to a dog park and he played with some dogs over there:(...He is updated on all of his shots. My concern is about Parvo. He got his first Parvo shot on December and the second Parvo shot on January 2nd. He has appointment for the third shots and other boosters in two days. I just heard that Parvo is very common in the city that I live in... now I am freaking out that maybe he got that disease today in that dog park. I already washed him and cleaned my house... but I cannot stop thinking about it. I really appreciate if you please let me know your experience/advices. Shoud I be worried???
Thank you

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Hello everyone!
I did something so stupid today.. I took my poodle puppy (11 weeks old) to a dog park and he played with some dogs over there:(...He is updated on all of his shots. My concern is about Parvo. He got his first Parvo shot on December and the second Parvo shot on January 2nd. He has appointment for the third shots and other boosters in two days. I just heard that Parvo is very common in the city that I live in... now I am freaking out that maybe he got that disease today in that dog park. I already washed him and cleaned my house... but I cannot stop thinking about it. I really appreciate if you please let me know your experience/advices. Shoud I be worried???
Thank you
Relax. He's probably completely fine. The reason they need a series of boosters is because the mother passes her immunity on to the pups, and while that immunity is active it will prevent the vaccine from working. Eventually the mother's immunity fades and they develop their own immunity. So the shots are given in a series to ensure that the window between the end of the mother's immunity and the administration of an effective vaccine is not too large. A single shot is often sufficient to cover them, so long as the mother's immunity wasn't blocking it. And he likely is still protected by his mother's immunity at that age.

Keep an eye on him of course, but certainly don't panic. I would not take a dog that young to a dog park for other reasons even if parvo wasn't a concern. My suggestion would be to enroll him in a good puppy class to help with socialization. It's better for him to be around similar aged peers or around very well balanced older dogs that you know will behave appropriately.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Relax. He's probably completely fine. The reason they need a series of boosters is because the mother passes her immunity on to the pups, and while that immunity is active it will prevent the vaccine from working. Eventually the mother's immunity fades and they develop their own immunity. So the shots are given in a series to ensure that the window between the end of the mother's immunity and the administration of an effective vaccine is not too large. A single shot is often sufficient to cover them, so long as the mother's immunity wasn't blocking it. And he likely is still protected by his mother's immunity at that age.

Keep an eye on him of course, but certainly don't panic. I would not take a dog that young to a dog park for other reasons even if parvo wasn't a concern. My suggestion would be to enroll him in a good puppy class to help with socialization. It's better for him to be around similar aged peers or around very well balanced older dogs that you know will behave appropriately.
Thank you so much!
I feel better now. He goes to training class too and all of his classmates are puppy. But I don’t know why I listened to my friend and took him to that dog Park. Lesson is learned and hopefully not in a hard way?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Thank you so much!
I feel better now. He goes to training class too and all of his classmates are puppy. But I don’t know why I listened to my friend and took him to that dog Park. Lesson is learned and hopefully not in a hard way?
I see people do it all the time in my city, so don't feel bad. It sounds like you are off to a good start. It is normal to be an over anxious parent with a new puppy. Socialization is good, so it is worth taking some risk to introduce your pup to new sights and sounds while he is young, though you want to try to avoid areas where a lot of dogs go to minimize those risks. Parvo is spread through feces, so areas where a lot of dogs are eliminating are best to avoid. But you can always carry them through these areas if you still want that exposure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My advice is watch your pup very closely for symptoms--refusal to eat and diarrhea. My pup got a very light case of parvo after three vaccinations out of four. She never left our farm except to go to the vet for her vaccination (she could have gotten it there of course). The vaccine maker is paying my vet costs.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Parvo aside (and you will probably be fine) I would be very careful about taking an 11-week old puppy to a dog park. Dog parks, even the best of them, can have issues with dog interactions and one bad experience with your dog now can influence interactions for the rest of his life. If you are going to a training class, the interactions there should be managed and your dog should get plenty of appropriate dog socialization there for the time being. I won't ever take my dogs to a dog park for a multitude of reasons, but that is my personal preference. But I would be extra hesitant with a young puppy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts