Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was trimming Zacks nails and he is good for nail trims and cut a little too close and cut the quick.

Now that was 10 minutes ago and we have been applying pressure to the nail to stop the bleeding and its still bleeding a little.

This has never happened before and I don't know what to do. Or how to handle it.

What do we need to do from here to get it to stop and other instructions for care.

Zack didnt even let us know it happened until he bled on my shirt.

Thanks

I don't have any bandages or anything should I wrap it in a paper towel or small wash cloth or something?

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Take a pinch of flour or corn starch between your fingers and press it to the nail for a minute or so. It should help coagulate the blood. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked it up and I don't have any of the stuff they are talking about using to stop the bleeding and such. I don't even have bandages here.

We feel so awful and we've been trimming his nails his whole life.

Though the little guy acts like nothing happened

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay my husband says its not bleeding anymore and has dried.....what are the next steps, should we clean it out real good or will that cause it to bleed again?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Try dipping his paw in some baking soda. It is a good substitute if you don't have the nail stop stuff.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Whew! Good that it stopped. It will be critical to keep it clean so it doesn't get infected. Do you have any liquid bandage or neosporin? I don't know how he would tolerate a little wrap around his foot to keep it clean?

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Do you have ANY sort of powder to help clot the blood? I think I've also heard that you can press the nail into a bar of soap, but I wonder if that might sting a little... Otherwise, I think just the direct pressure is the best course of action - As long as he's not spurting blood, eventually it will clot and stop (you might want to put him somewhere where he can't stain carpets or find a way to attach a sock of some sort over his foot so he doesn't make a mess until it clots... Sorry I couldn't be more help - I ALWAYS have flour (I love to bake) and before I even reach for the nail clippers I make sure our Kwik stop is where I can reach it... It sounds like the bleeding is slowing down from your first description - hopefully it will stop soon!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay so we got the bleeding to stop and we are cleaning it out now. Instead of wrapping it in a paper towel I have a sock I'm going to use. Bleeding has completely stopped

I do have neosporin.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Yea! It sounds like he is quite the little trooper. Seeing your thread reminded me about those tick remover things from a thread a long time ago. I really need to get together a little doggy first aide kit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It did bleed again a little after we cleaned it. Once it stops I'm going to apply some antiseptic and wrap it.

I did this to my 2nd poodle years ago (first time I ever trimmed a dogs nails), but I was better prepared at the time. And my mind is going blank on this stuff. (pregnancy brain I guess, I'm not cool under pressure right now)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea! It sounds like he is quite the little trooper. Seeing your thread reminded me about those tick remover things from a thread a long time ago. I really need to get together a little doggy first aide kit.
First thing tomorrow I'm going to put one together, won't get caught like this again.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay so he is resting now. Its wrapped, cleaned, and according to the two sources I read, we need to clean it daily for the next week (though I will call and double check with his vet in the morning, it looks pretty bad)

He is highly ticked off at us, ofcourse. But he is a tough little guy, I mean he didn't even flinch when it happened.

But while we are on the subject of doggy first aid, for me and anyone else that might be wondering.

What are the key essential items to have in a doggy first aid kit?

(by the way we are buying a think of that Kwik Stop stuff first thing tomorrow incase this ever happens again)

We both feel so terrible about this. I mean we've been trimming his nails his whole life no problems and tonight this happened. I hope this doesn't cause any fear issues in the future with nail trimming)

Anyways again thanks

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yup, any powder will help it clot, if it's cut way short then it is effectively an open straw, which is hard for the blood to clot in! The powder of any sort basically clogs up the end somewhat, giving the blood something to clot ON. I've heard of someone who does their dogs nails outside, and if it bleeds she sticks a pinch of dirt onto the end to clot it; it's all the same thing! Once it's clotted, just don't go hooning about on a hard surface for the rest of the day, but I wouldn't worry about cleaning it out or covering it at all; the quick will recede pretty fast and it'll be fine. :)

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Lol it's really not a big deal, your poo will be just fine! Just try not to let him get it wet too much, supervise his time outside for the next day so he doesn't go into the snow else it may start bleeding again.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Actually if you cut it just a tiny bit too short and it bled for 10 minutes, I'd take him to the vet. At least call. It sounds like he could have a problem w/ clotting. 10 minutes or more is a long time for a nail to bleed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It looks much better this morning but I did check with his vet and they said as long as it doesn't show signs of infection not to worry too much. If he starts to look infected around it then bring him in. Just to keep it clean. And being that we are in an apartment they suggested keeping it wrapped or in a bootie when outside (other dogs poop around here and their owners don't clean up after then) just to avoid bacteria

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yep, a dog first aid kit is a must! I typically raid my human kit for stuff like bandages, neosporin, and A&D ointment (which heals minor wounds very quickly!), but it's important to have some coagulant around, as well as a dog-safe anti-itch and/or soothing spray to help treat or prevent hotspots. If you see your dog repeatedly licking an area, some soothing spray and a bandage to preent further licking will keep it from turning into a hotspot.
I never do nails without KwikStop on hand. It comes in a small yellow tub and works better than any other coagulant I've tried.

Note: I'm no vet, these are just the things I've always used on my own dogs. We do use KwikStop and Davis anti-itch spray in the grooming shop where I work, and we love those products.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts