Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an inexpensive pair of 7 1/2" curved scissors, blunt-tip, i think made by Miracle Coat, around $20. I've been using them for topknot, tail, and bellbottoms, backs of legs, etc. They are sharp (I cut myself with them, ouch...), but not consistently sharp all along the blades, so sometimes i have to shift to figure out the right place to cut. I don't own a straight pair of scissors at all. I guess it would be useful to have both straight and curved, but i'm not sure what to use the straight ones for? I use a clipper on the body for the most part, and do touch-up with scissors between sessions. I don't do a style that's complicated (pics below).

I know certain brands are recommended, eg, CC, Kenchii, Geib, and Senseii, but I can't figure out which ones are supposed to be good in what specific ways--do they have certain features each is known for? I realize they are pricey, and I don't want to spend $300 on just one pair, but maybe 100-150 for a pair, if i can get good ones that will last for that. If the brands have a distinctive fit, unfortunately, I don't have a place near me where i can go and try them out. If it helps, my hands/fingers are on the slender side of average.

Also, while I'm here--i'd love something that makes it easier to trim her toes. That's the only part she doesn't like (or she tries to lick the blade!). I feel like it takes too long. I'm using a Wahl Bravura on #10 . It's awkward to maneuver on her feet, and it's a bit hard to see what I'm doing. Maybe it's b/c of the size of the trimmer (and not just because Cleo keeps sticking her head in front of my face!).

Here are some pics after her most recent groom, which i did over a couple of days. The top one is after i did her body (3/8"). In the bottom one i had also done her feet and trimmed the topknot a little more:

IMG_8982.JPG
IMG_8996.JPG

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Not sure on the scissors, I'm using Master Grooming Blue Titanium but with your budget you're looking for something better. For the feet, I have switched to using the Bravmini which works amazingly well! It does cut extremely close though. Previously I was using the normal bravura at the 30 setting which was fine, but Misha is very sensitive on his front feet so the bravmini is better. Smaller and less vibration.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
It's funny that you have curved and not straights because most people start out with straights and then get curved. Straight are really handy when you are putting the finishing touches on legs and backs. Well, really anyplace that you do not want a curved finish. You are probably using your clippers when you could use straight scissors.There is a length, after which you must scissor because no blade is long enough. I think we are all familiar with scissors that need to be sharpened and have just a small "sweet spot" that cuts nicely. It is annoying to work with those scissors, once you have worked with properly sharpened scissors. If you could go to a dog show, vendors usually have lots of displays with scissors to try. If not, check out some of the groomer only sites and see what they recommend. I will say that at first, I could not distinguish between a good and a really high quality pair of scissors. So, for me, there was no point in getting really expensive scissors for several years. I have to add that I was only grooming my own dogs, not working as a groomer. The scissors do feel different in small, or in my case, stubby fingered hands. I have had Geib, Buttercut, Chris Christensen,Gator, 88... of varying quality and was satisfied with most. I have not ventured beyond the 150 dollar cost per pair, yet. I may not, as I have a tendency to drop things. One drop can really unbalance expensive scissors. I would probably cry!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Raindrops, i think Cleo is sensitive on her front feet, too. This is the first time she hasn't licked them incessantly for a couple days after I finished (there were no raw spots that i could find)--and that's only with a 10; i'd prefer to go shorter so i don't have to do it as often. I may give the Mini a try!

Charmed, thank you for explaining about the straight scissors, that makes sense. I will see if i can find a show near me--it would be good to be able to try them. I do want to keep the cost down as much as i can. I bought inexpensive scissors (and other things) to start to make sure i was actually going to continue to groom her, and for some things it didn't matter but i can see with some items it does make a difference, so i'm upgrading those things little by little...

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I recently purchased these
https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Magasin-Grooming-Scissors-Kits/dp/B00K95C6AS/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=grooming+scissors&qid=1578315377&sr=8-7

Now they are just beginner scissors and I haven't used them yet on Renn as I don't normally groom him myself. But I did our cairn and I liked them, but I'm no groomer. LOL Sensitive feet...Renn has sensitive feet, his last groom she must have used a shorter blade as his feet were all reddish the next day. In fact I'm still battling a slight infection on his rear foot, I think its yeast from over licking it. This has happened before, I will need to remind his groomer next trip. I may try to do his feet in between that would probably be a good idea.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Mako straights from Affordable Grooming supplies are supposed to be very durable even if you drop them. They are nice shears. If you contact Yvonne Aitken on Facebook (she is a rep. so gets a small percentage and is a really awesome and helps newbies with ordering shears) you can order through her or go direct to their website. If you happen to order from Yvonne let her know that Nova’s owner told you. She’s really helped me and I would like to help her. ?

I wished I had known before I bought my mako’s . I need to order another set of their diamond dremel heads from her soon. I bought the medium but it takes too long so I’m going to get the coarse 80.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts