Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My silver boy was supposed to fly in yesterday but due to some schedule changes, he will arrive on Tuesday instead. I guess you can all imagine how hard this wait can be.

As a kind of release of my anxiousness, I decided to make a post and share with you all what i have prepared for Nickel so far.

- Made (and rescheduled) vet appt for the initial checkup
- Registered for puppy kindergarten and puppy playgroup
- Checked out dog parks nearby
- Checked out the 2 Emergency animal hospitals near our place
- Apartment puppy-proof

Attachments

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
You're like a first time expectant mom! LOL

I hope he arrives soon! Looks like you're well prepared for him. :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Wow, I can only imagine your longing for the day to come!! Great starter kit you got there!~

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You have a bunch of good stuff there. Those nail trimmers are much too big. Get the ones for small dogs or cats instead. Is that a prong collar on the left side? Figuring you got a puller coming? I can't wait to see him.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hubby has been teasing me and said, "Should we do a hospital test-run?"

Oh, I have also got an x-pen for him. Depending on the type/size of the crate that he is coming in, I might need to get another crate for him in a few months.

Placemat and food/water bowls are all in place. Got extra paper towels and sham cloths from Costco the other day. I have also got some old towels and fitted sheets, oh and canned pumpkin ready. And I am reading "How to Raise the Perfect Dog" and "How to Teach a New Dog Old Tricks".

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies.

That nail clipper looks big but that's actually one of those quick finder nail clipper for small dogs. I feel more comfortable using one of these on dogs w/ dark nails.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Good for you!! It does look like you are awaiting the birth of your firstborn. You are organized and well equipped. I wish you luck and know the excitement you are feeling as I await my own new addition. Looking forward to lots of photos of you baby when he arrives!!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Bummer on the delay, I feel your pain! Tomorrow will come quickly though and once you have your pup, you'll forget the wait.

The list of things you have looks good! Just a couple of things to consider (based on my experience with my little guy since Saturday):

- You might want a smaller, non choke collar. My little guy does not like his collar/ leash combo at all yet and spends a lot of time flailing around like a fish on a line. You want something that won't hurt his neck.
- Do you have any soft squeakies? My guy love, loves, loves them! As I type he is curled up in his crate on top of 2 of his toys. :love: He also has a soft long fluffy rope type that I attached to the crate that he likes to hang off of.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your suggestions. I will go out to get some soft squeakies for my little guy. Oh just heard from the breeder that he will be arriving at around noon tomorrow.

Haven't seen any post from the new owner of Nickel's littermate...I hope everything goes well there in FL.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
You must be so excited! I remember the day I picked my puppy up at the airport (my breeder flew with him)... I was just so excited and nervous!

You are going to adore your mini. I couldn't have imagined how wonderful my mini would be.

It's been a long time since I raised a puppy. I also read Cesar's "How to Raise the Perfect Dog" and I thought it was extremely helpful. It pointed out a few things I had never thought of.

I noticed you mentioned dog parks in your first post. I am sure you already know this, but I wouldn't take him to a dog park until he has completed his vaccination series... also be careful if you do take him after that--some dogs do not have good manners, and you don't want your puppy to be traumatized by a few unruly dogs at the dog park.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, it was 15 years when I last raised a puppy, that's why I think I should do some readings and polish the knowledge :)

No, I won't be taking him to the dog parks until his shots are done but I will carry him and walk around the neighborhood so that he can experience the city traffic and people, etc.

You guys are so nice and I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions I get from the forum. /heart pounding

·
Registered
27 Posts
Best of luck with your little one. If I read the posts correctly, your little guy should be home about now. I hope it goes well and that you enjoy every minute!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi everyone,

A little update:

Nickel arrived at SFO on time. He messed up in his crate so he didn't smell good. We drove home right away and gave him (and his crate) a bath. He seemed okay riding on the car. He cried when my husband and I went out of sight (eating in the dining area) but he soon calmed down. He refused water and food and treat of any kind and he is not interested in any of the toys. He wags his tail like crazy and he calms down as soon as we hold him. But I know that I shouldn't keep carrying him around. It's hard but we are trying.

After he relieved himself in the exercise pen (on the puppy pad), I let him follow us around in the living room and kitchen. He's very curious and alert. He stared at the dishwasher trying to figure out why that machine was making such a sound.

He only had his first shot so I can't take him out for a walk. He didn't seem to have any idea about what a puppy pad is when I took him out to the litter pan in the balcony. But I will keep taking him out after each meal and nap.

Now he's sleeping in his exercise pen which is placed in the living room. Hopefully he will eat something later this evening.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Oh yay! He is here! We need lots of photos, of course. :)

Jäger was also air sick on the plane ride down (from your area, oddly) and car sick on the way to the airport to my house. So the first thing I did with him was a bath, as well!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Ah congrats on the arrival! Can't wait to see pics. I wouldn't worry too much about babying him or carrying him around for the first few days. He did just have a stressful experience and will be needing a little extra loving! Just don't make it a long term habit. :)

As for the puppy pads, see how it goes. Darcy is not comfortable pooing on them, so we go outside for some pees and all poos. I just pick areas that don't have lots of dogs in them and keep an eye on the ground for any feces etc. Of course it all depends on your comfort level, but for me, it wouldn't work having him only pooing inside as he won't do it! He wants to be outside. I hope you have a good first night with little Nickel!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all your reply. A little note then I will go to bed.

So he got up from his nap and I took him to the litter pan. He peed right on the pad and of course I praised him and offered him a treat. He LOVED the treat and hopped back in the litter pan, wagging his tail, asking for another one!! Then we had our play time and he finally drank some water - still didn't finish his dinner, not even 1/4 of it but it's okay. He must be stressed from his long flight. So we had a slow night - me lying on the floor, letting him check me out, watching tv together, etc. He's such a happy dog. He's always wagging his tail and following me around. Just now I showed him to the litter pan again and he hopped right in. Although he didn't do his business, he obviously knew that it was a 'happy place'.

Now he's sleeping in his crate with his soft lion toy. Since he didn't empty his bladder before going to bed, I might need to get up in the middle of the night and let him out… well, we'll see. The breeder said he has been able to sleep through the night.

Litter pan/puppy pad will not be the long-term solution. Our neighborhood is SUPER dog-friendly (which is good) so there are A LOT OF dogs nearby. I don't feel too comfortable letting him out yet. He's 9-week-old and had only his first shot. Till when should I wait? After the 3rd set of shots?

We live on the 14th floor so I am assuming, before he becomes reliable, I would have to carry him down to do his business so that he won't mess up the hallway/elevator. Am I right?

Thank you guys. Will post pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is so exciting! CONGRATS on your new furbaby! Can't wait to see pics.

To be safe I would wait until his puppy shots are completed before taking him out to do his business.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts