Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I heard from Kansas Poodle rescue via our rescue here in Colorado. Apparently the owner of the Standard Poodle listed on Craig's list has a long history with Poodle Rescue and other poodle folks in the area. According to Poodle rescue, the owner does not tell the truth and routinely changes her story about the dog and her family situation.

Poodle rescue has been in contact with the owner's vet and this is what they know. The dog is intact and has been used to breed Goldendoodles. He has been kept outside and is very aggressive and under socialized.

A year ago, Poodle rescue was contacted by the owner regarding giving him up. Poodle rescue evaluated the dog but judged him too aggressive to place.

According to the vet, the dog does have severe ear issues, but they have never been adequately addressed by the owner. Because his ears have been neglected for so long, he would most likely need ablation surgery. Of greater concern to the vet was the fact that the dog was so aggressive. The vet's recommendation was that the dog be put down.

Poodle rescue in the area is very upset that this woman is now trying to dump the dog on Craig's List and that some unsuspecting person might take this dog on.

A good lesson for us all to ask hard question whenever looking at bringing a dog of any age into our home.

·
Registered
319 Posts
That is such a shame, and it would be a tragedy for a family to adopt the dog not aware of his aggression issues. Rescue is such a wonderful thing, but can go horribly wrong if people don't have the right information. I only have experience with greyhound rescue and while most of the dogs make fabulous rescues some were just too damaged by the track experience to go home and then the heartbreaking decision to put them down comes into play. I can't believe that someone would risk a family's welfare, and even the reputation of a rescue shelter, by posting misleading information.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Sounds like that woman is not quite right in the head. The poor dog might be better off with someone else than a batty woman. Still joking apart - its a real shame. I get upset when I see any dog, any breed, that isn't being treated properly. My neighbours got what they said was a cross between a German Shepherd and a Rottweiler. I think it was a cross between many breeds. They told me their son brought it home and they said they didn't want a dog but their teenage daughter started crying so they kept it.

They stuck it out in the back yard where it whined and barked and clawed at the fence to get in to play with my dogs. As I have Shih-tzus, I certainly didn't want it in here. Once a day they opened the back door and plonked a bowl of food on the step. I had even talked to a friend about going out after dark and pulling a fence board off and driving the dog to another city and surrendering it to a shelter because I felt so sorry for a 4 month old pup stuck out there.

In the end my friend convinced me that I couldn't go around saving every dog that I thought didn't have a good life!

Years later its over weight and still stuck out there. However, sometimes its in the house now. The neighbours are never outside. I think they must give the dog a supply of bags and assume its cleans up after itself!!!

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
It makes me so angry to hear things like this! How infuriating that poor dog has had a life of needless suffering. And how frustrating that no was able to save him before his spirit and disposition were destroyed. The final tragedy would indeed be seeing some loving family misled into taking him, only to bear the heartache that would bring. Good for you cbrand for doing such a great "public service" to remind us all that "buyer beware" counts in the world of dog ownership as it does elsewhere. Those rescue people have my sincere admiration for all they do, and all they have to witness.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
so sad and upsetting. :(

i'm not one to try to save every dog. But it would be nice if this dog got chance- if someone with experience with agressive dogs could get him the vet care and see if he can be turned around. What about Dogtown??

And yes it's very much buyer beware.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Why if the vet is saying it has an untreated ear problem is the vet not calling the SPCA on this couple and just taking the dog?
Where it can be evaluated once the ears are clean and then put in the proper place whether that be pts or adopted to the right home.

We had a dog we had to put down do to aggression I mean attack anyone and everyone including my kids.
He was not a happy dog and unfortunatly we did what was safest for everyone other then putting him in a pen and locking the gate with a padlock which is what a trainer advised us to do for the safety of our neighbours.

He was from the top dog in Canada at the time by the way.

Someone needs to save this dog from his miserable life and that vet needs to help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts