Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things are going better. I am feeling more bonded to him now that I did a few weeks ago, and the house training is a work in progress. He hasn't had an accident in a few days because I am watching him constantly and taking him out every 2 hours. He is a super sweet boy and loves to cuddle. My senior poodle cross is still struggling with having him here so there has been growling and upset, so that is also a work in progress. My cat loves him and will often go up to him to say hi.

A few issues that we are dealing with right now are early wake up times. He is capable of staying in his crate till 630 ( he sleeps in a crate beside my sons bed), but the last few nights have been rough, this morning he woke me up at 430 am, and yesterday 3 am. So I am exhausted. I tried to be all business and put him right back in his crate both times after letting him out, but he cries and barks, and being in a condo doing that at 3 am isn't ok. So I end up just awake with him.

We are also dealing with the issue he can't be alone in the condo, in his crate or in his pen. He screams and cries. I have left him for about 5 to 15 minutes and he has cried pretty much the whole time, I bolted back in the minute he was quiet even for a second, but really need to work on this. The strange thing is he is fine alone in the car, I have taken him on errands and gone into stores, and he sits and waits nicely. .

We started group puppy training classes, but so far they have just been so so. Hopefully it gets better.

He loves to go to the park and has learned to fetch his ball. He also loves to play with other dogs if there are any there. He is growing a ton and his legs are so long now. will attach some pictures.

·
Super Moderator
6,330 Posts
Love the pics! Niko looks like a very fun boy.

Have you tried playing crate games?

What is different about how Niko is left in his crate vs. left in the car? Think about the moments before, the moments after, and what he does (or is expected to do) in each space. Maybe something will click for you.

I always make sure our crates are against a wall, ideally in a corner, with a lightweight blanket overtop, open only to a wall-side for airflow. The blanket on Peggy's crate is black so she never got into the habit of waking with the sun. We also used to set an alarm to preemptively wake her at night for a potty, and again in the morning, slowwwwly pushing that time later and later. We'd then sit with her until she fell back to sleep.

The goal is to never let puppy have a reason to bark.

I know you're in a condo, but sadly this makes no difference to Niko. :) He's a baby and expecting a baby to automatically sleep through the night isn't realistic. Some might. Those are happy exceptions.

I've raised puppies in apartments and condos before. It's doable, I promise. But you have to stay well ahead of your puppy's needs.

You can help Niko relax better at night by ensuring he always has access to water. I find a bedtime snack helps, too. Peggy gets a quarter cup of her special "treat" kibble (a different brand from her meal kibble).

Winding down with a bedtime routine also helps: Low light, minimal activity, following the same steps each evening, always culminating in a reward inside his crate.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Love the pics! Niko looks like a very fun boy.

Have you tried playing crate games?

What is different about how Niko is left in his crate vs. left in the car? Think about the moments before, the moments after, and what he does (or is expected to do) in each space. Maybe something will click for you.

I always make sure our crates are against a wall, ideally in a corner, with a lightweight blanket overtop, open only to a wall-side for airflow. The blanket on Peggy's crate is black so she never got into the habit of waking with the sun. We also used to set an alarm to preemptively wake her at night for a potty, and again in the morning, slowwwwly pushing that time later and later. We'd then sit with her until she fell back to sleep.

The goal is to never let puppy have a reason to bark.

I know you're in a condo, but sadly this makes no difference to Niko. :) He's a baby and expecting a baby to automatically sleep through the night isn't realistic. Some might. Those are happy exceptions.

I've raised puppies in apartments and condos before. It's doable, I promise. But you have to stay well ahead of your puppy's needs.

You can help Niko relax better at night by ensuring he always has access to water. I find a bedtime snack helps, too. Peggy gets a quarter cup of her special "treat" kibble (a different brand from her meal kibble).

Winding down with a bedtime ro
Yutine also helps: Low light, minimal activity, following the same steps each evening, always culminating in a reward inside his crate.
He has slept through the night to 615 am or so many times (he is older almost 4 months), and has the same routine for the most part every night, so having a hard time figuring out why the sudden early wake ups. He goes into the crate at night just fine as my son is right beside him, but now seems to just want to wake up way earlier than he needs to. We live in a ground floor condo and it is dark anyways this time of year, especially in my sons room which is pretty much a dungeon haha. I am going to try putting a blanket over the whole crate tonight and see if that helps. I am actually not sure why he is ok in the car and not alone in his crate or playpen. Maybe the car just feels safer to him, I really can't figure it out. It is the same routine when I leave him in either, no fuss at all and super casual.

I am curious about the water thing, I was under the impression it was better not to give water after a certain time at night or overnight, because that would surely lead to accidents or needing to go out many times during the night.

·
Super Moderator
6,330 Posts
I am curious about the water thing, I was under the impression it was better not to give water after a certain time at night or overnight, because that would surely lead to accidents or needing to go out many times during the night.
There are differing opinions on this. I personally think restricting water is cruel and counter-productive.

Peggy takes her biggest drink about 3 minutes after she goes into her crate for the night. Withholding water from a thirsty dog would create a very uncomfortable dog—one who's more likely to toss and turn and beg for early release.

If you make sure Niko's needs are met before he asks, he'll have no need to ask. :)

That's why a bedtime snack is good, too, as an empty belly can be an uncomfortable belly.

I have a health condition that makes sleep extra precious to me, so I take this stuff seriously. It's not about being "soft" or over-indulgent (as some critics might assume, lol). It's about ensuring my dog is happy and quiet for up to 12 hours so I have a chance at getting the sleep I so desperately need.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you can find one of those old windup clocks that ticks fairly loudly, you can wind it up, put it to ticking & set it next to the crate. This works like a charm for a lot of pups, even some hard core fussy-butts. If the puppy was super young, you'd add a heat pad on low in a spot on the crate where puppy could lay against it or choose not to if he was too warm. But once they're weaned from mom, the simulation of a warm body usually isn't needed. My boy was 5 months when I got him & it didn't occur to me for a bit that he was not used to being ALONE. He was from a huge litter plus a few adult dogs. So he didn't know beans about being alone & it sort of freaked him out to be alone. So for awhile we allowed him to be crated in the room with our two large dogs & just so long as he could see them & they were quiet, he was too. He's outgrown this & now can be crated about anywhere & knows the door only opens to a quiet Poodle. He can be loose in the house & disappears & we'll find him in his crate, sound asleep or just laying there gazing with the door opened to the crate. He just likes it in there. My old Collie was like that. She loved her crate & would get cross with anyone who blocked her from getting into her den.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I second having water available all night for the reasons PeggyTheParti said. I’ve always kept water available for Lacey (a small mini poodle) all night since she was a puppy. She also drinks water right before going to sleep at night, just like Peggy. I never had a problem with her peeing in her crate or crying to be let out early in the morning. Her sleeping space in the crate was only big anough for her to turn around in but not too big so that she could pee in a corner and sleep away from it.
You can get a bowl that attaches to the wall or door of the wire crate so that it doesn’t take up room in the sleeping space and won’t be spilled.

as far as completely covering the crate on all 4 sides, I’d worry about oxygen supply or it getting too hot in there. But I’m not sure about it, I’ve never looked into that. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
6,330 Posts
as far as completely covering the crate on all 4 sides, I’d worry about oxygen supply or it getting too hot in there. But I’m not sure about it, I’ve never looked into that. Just a thought.
That's why I leave the side that's against the wall uncovered. The crate is not flat against the wall, as the baseboard juts out a half inch or so. So that bit of space provides good airflow.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hopefully @Jenna2020 can try that instead of covering all 4 sides! I could have been misinterpreting what she meant by “I am going to try putting a blanket over the whole crate tonight and see if that helps.”

Good luck tonight, @Jenna2020!
I didn't even put a blanket over him last night. But I wouldn't have put it over the entire crate with no airflow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oh my goodness, he is SO lovely! When is his last pee before crate time? If you can wait till the last possible moment before you go to bed, that might help him sleep/stay quiet later. We've been snuggling and watching TV in the den in the evenings, and waking her up to go out between 10:30 and 11 most nights before we go to bed. We've been lucky that Oona (almost 12 weeks) has slept in her crate till ~7 most mornings, but we might be giving her a last pee later.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh my goodness, he is SO lovely! When is his last pee before crate time? If you can wait till the last possible moment before you go to bed, that might help him sleep/stay quiet later. We've been snuggling and watching TV in the den in the evenings, and waking her up to go out between 10:30 and 11 most nights before we go to bed. We've been lucky that Oona (almost 12 weeks) has slept in her crate till ~7 most mornings, but we might be giving her a last pee later.
My son takes him out right before he goes to bed. He stays up later than I do haha. Usually around 1030 or 11. Today he was quiet till 5 so that was better.
my son takes him out for the last one of the night as he stays up later. So around 1030 or 11. Today was better he stayed asleep till 545. I am ok with that. Low expectations haha

·
Registered
50 Posts
my son takes him out for the last one of the night as he stays up later. So around 1030 or 11. Today was better he stayed asleep till 545. I am ok with that. Low expectations haha
Oona was up early this morning too, getting geared up for the time change?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts