Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am a soon to be standard poodle dad and I have a few health concerns pertaining to the mother of the puppies. The breeder that I have chosen has a litter of only 2 puppies. The average litter of puppies for a standard is 6. Should I be concerned?

Thanks,

JB

·
Registered
598 Posts
In my experience small litters happen - singletons happen. Even to bitches who usually throw normal sized litters. If this was the second small litter then maybe it would raise an eyebrow. For you I think only a singleton would make a difference because the puppy to puppy socialization is less - but with lots of attention from the breeder even that can be worked with. My mini was one of 3 but that is not unusual in smaller dogs.

·
Premium Member
24,103 Posts
If all the other boxes of a good breeder are checked off (health testing of parents, etc.) then I would not worry.

Reactions: Jbclark3

·
Registered
598 Posts
sorry forgot to add - you didn't mention what other health concerns about the parents you had. I was speaking solely on the issue of a one time small litter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry forgot to add - you didn't mention what other health concerns about the parents you had. I was speaking solely on the issue of a one time small litter.
Oh sorry, well the other concern isn't really health related, but behavior related. The sire has a wonderful temperament, but the mother is very hyper.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Oh sorry, well the other concern isn't really health related, but behavior related. The sire has a wonderful temperament, but the mother is very hyper.
It is an unwritten rule for me personally if I wouldn't take the mother home with me and consider myself lucky I will pass on any offspring. This has served me well in the past. I take my time in puppy visits and expect the mother of my future dog to get used to me. I will excuse stand offish or hyper behavior in the first 15 minutes to half hour (hormones, having a litter and stranger in the house etc) but after 30 minutes or so the mom should be intelligent enough to endorse me as a human to handle her offspring and basically be ready to go home with me herself. Dogs know dog people and they should be socialized enough to read me. I would never buy a dog where the mom comes with all kinds of excuses...she is stressed , she is not social, she hasn't been out much etc Those are all warning flags for me personally.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
A mother that is very hyper should not be bred. You have two things to worry about: (1) Nature/genetics -- temperament is definitely passed on genetically. (2) Nurture -- The mother will be taking care of the pups for the first 8 or 9 weeks of their lives. Both nature and nurture matter, and they matter a lot. I have had the privilege of seeing stable happy momma dogs raise their litters, and I am convinced that a well-supported stable momma passes her happy confidence on to her puppies. There is no way that I would want a puppy from a hyper momma.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts