Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have, in addition to their poodles, a herding type dog? I have two spoos, a mini aussie and a bc/aussie mix. We adopted him from a sweet but "overwhelmed by his high energy" couple at a year old. He is now almost 2 and is scary smart, a quick learner and had earned his novice trick dog title before the virus shut down a lot of the classes I had planned to attend with him. I learn best face to face with my dog in a class setting but that isn't possible right now. Even though our training center is opening back up, I am a high risk category and my husband is a very high risk so going out and about isn't possible.

I love all the advice I have received personally and just through reading threads, regarding my spoos, but I cannot seem to find a like minded forum for my Brody. He is much like a very high energy, needs a job poodle, but there are a few aspects of his personality that are natural to his breed. My spoos have advanced obedience and my mix is (was) training for therapy work - she has a very unusual laid back personality. Brody however, is a firecracker and I feel like I'm not doing my best for him. If anyone else has trained or worked with a herder or can recommend a good site for their breed, I would appreciate it. I have been on a lot of positive training sites for my spoos and have several good recommended books (Patricia McConnel etc) that have come from this site. Sometimes though it helps to just talk with someone who has a like minded dog. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I actually came to poodles with much of my experience with herding breeds. Whole other ball game, eh?

I love the DMWYD Facebook groups - I am sure itlf you already have novice you can quickly track up intermediate, advanced and even expert. I love the one I follow, her videos are very very clear and if you are struggling and post a video she will give feedback/advice.

The multi sporr champion collie trainer I went to with annie recommended teaching a downstay as a job for a dog. She says she keeps her collies at a downstay while she does dishes, makes dinner, etc in the kitchen. It tires them out and uses a bunch of mental energy until it becomes routine. Plus, it teaches focused calm, which is a really good thing for a wound up herding breed (or poodle).

My last herding breed LOVED heeling as a game. I would change speeds, turn, stop suddenly, etc, and use had to stay with me. Definitely her favourite thing to do, we didnt even use treats for it.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I had an Aussie. Can you give him jobs around the house? Like putting away his toys, helping with laundry, stuff like that? There's more, but my brain isn't working right now. Can we have pics please? My Aussie's jobs were patrolling and raising kittens.

I'm going to breed Aussies in the future.

·
Premium Member
23,386 Posts
You can teach tricks that are on the AKC tricks title lists for the different levels. Have DH video when you have them reliable and search for a CGC evaluator in your area. You can make arrangements to have the evaluator watch the videos and send in the paperwork for the titles. I just did this for a friend of mine for novice, intermediate and advanced tricks titles.

Chaining together tricks then sets up for the performer and elite performer titles. And thinking tricks are a good way to scrub some energy off a kigh energy dog.

Reactions: Fenris-wolf and Liz

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Does anyone have, in addition to their poodles, a herding type dog? I have two spoos, a mini aussie and a bc/aussie mix. We adopted him from a sweet but "overwhelmed by his high energy" couple at a year old. He is now almost 2 and is scary smart, a quick learner and had earned his novice trick dog title before the virus shut down a lot of the classes I had planned to attend with him. I learn best face to face with my dog in a class setting but that isn't possible right now. Even though our training center is opening back up, I am a high risk category and my husband is a very high risk so going out and about isn't possible.

I love all the advice I have received personally and just through reading threads, regarding my spoos, but I cannot seem to find a like minded forum for my Brody. He is much like a very high energy, needs a job poodle, but there are a few aspects of his personality that are natural to his breed. My spoos have advanced obedience and my mix is (was) training for therapy work - she has a very unusual laid back personality. Brody however, is a firecracker and I feel like I'm not doing my best for him. If anyone else has trained or worked with a herder or can recommend a good site for their breed, I would appreciate it. I have been on a lot of positive training sites for my spoos and have several good recommended books (Patricia McConnel etc) that have come from this site. Sometimes though it helps to just talk with someone who has a like minded dog. Thanks for any help.
I personally like Susan Garrett. Dogs That are Home for Life

lots of info there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone - those are great ideas. Brody sends his thanks!!! Sorry, not sure I loaded the pics correctly.
Bro.jpg

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I wanted to show you what mine looked like, but I can't upload any images right now😔 but he looks like he has the same eyes as mine did.

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
Spirit Dog is a great online resource for all dog owners, but the owner (Steffi Trott) has herding breeds, so you might find her videos especially helpful:

I know it's not the same as in-person training, but she's very active on Facebook and support appears readily available via the website. Signing up for a few of her courses might give you and Brody some clear goals and much-needed covid-era structure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone I knew Poodle Forum people would come through. I've started checking out all the info and it's already helped my blue-eyed/brown eyed little firecracker and me. With 4 large dogs, it can be chaotic - especially when the resident squirrel is out playing in the bird feeder. We're working on the downstay right now to get a little calmness going and he has to sit and wait his turn behind the other three when they go outside. One the fun side, his favorite crowd pleaser is to go from a down to a roll on his back with feet up when asked the question "Would you rather be a kitty-cat or would you rather be dead?" All but my cat-loving best friends think it's funny.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts