Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this is the right place for this? It's not directly food related more behaviour, so I didnt want to put it in the food chat.

Anyway, for about a week now Toffee will not eat unless we put a few pieces of kibble on the floor next to her bowl. She then eats the pieces on the floor very slowly, often one by one. Once completed, she then moves to the rest of the food in the bowl.

Until she started this, she would devour her food!

I dont think there's anything to worry about, she's still eating just eating in a different way.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Thanks and stay pawsome馃惄

Super Moderator
Sometimes I get Peggy to eat by tossing a few kibbles for her, as though they're treats. Or I'll even just pop one into her mouth. That seems to get her appetite going so she'll dig into the rest of her meal.

If it's hot where you are, Toffee's appetite might be a little more sluggish than usual.

Registered
Mia's occasionally gone through bouts where she changes the way she does something routine. For example, she's decided that she wants to be invited to eat, but only a grand flourish suffices - I can't just release her normally. I play along, knowing it will change.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Sometimes I get Peggy to eat by tossing a few kibbles for her, as though they're treats. Or I'll even just pop one into her mouth. That seems to get her appetite going so she'll dig into the rest of her meal.

If it's hot where you are, Toffee's appetite might be a little more sluggish than usual.
The heat, although this summer has been cooler than usual, is definitely a factor in her overall sluggishness

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Mia's occasionally gone through bouts where she changes the way she does something routine. For example, she's decided that she wants to be invited to eat, but only a grand flourish suffices - I can't just release her normally. I play along, knowing it will change.
Yes, exactly! Just let them get on with it. I can see no real, or any, harm being done. Another facet to their personality

Registered
Mines the same way - she will eat one kibble at a time but the first few she will drop in the floor. She will go back and eat them at the end regardless if they came from her food bowl or the food dispensing toys but won鈥檛 eat the first few until she鈥檚 done. She鈥檚 got weird quirks and as long as she鈥檚 eating, I don鈥檛 worry about them.

Registered
My toy did the exact same thing. He was never a big eater and had all kinds of quirky, cute, and annoying behaviors related to his food. Sometimes I had to drop his food on the carpet to get him to eat. He would often bark at his food bowl until we encouraged him to eat. Sometimes he wouldn't eat if he could see the bottom of the bowl. He was a weird little guy. 馃槀 I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Registered
My Sammy does very similiar. Since we are a multiple dog home, I feed Sammy in my bedroom. He is a very slow eater and will only eat if I am in the same room. Sammy chooses one piece of kibble and drops it on the floor, then chooses another, that he carries onto the bed/ drops at my feet depending on where I am in the room and then eats it. He will then go back to his bowl, get another piece and carry it to his "spot". I know he is done when he eats the piece of kibble he first took out of the bowl.

Premium Member
Asta is picky eater and he has me very well trained.
Put food in bowl and set it down in one place.
Asta checks in by looking at me with his soulful eyes - he wants me to watch him eat.
I say "Eat your dinner"
He will eat about 1/2 of his food.
Checks in with me.
I say "Finish up" and he goes and eats some more - this step can be repeated.
Asta checks in with me.
I say " Eat some more for Mom"
Asta now has eaten his dinner.

Isn't finishing eating worth a treat. Oh well have a cookie.

That's his routine. I know how routines make me able to manage more of my bipolar symptoms. He is on the job pretty much 24/7 so I tend to spoil him a bit (well, maybe more than a bit)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts