Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have an 11 week all standard poodle puppy. He is currently 13 pounds. For the past week or so, his bowels have gone from solid to runny and very unusual. He's been going more frequently as if he has a slight condition of diarrhea. It all started when i changed his food. He only eats raw food, similar to the ancestral diet. I was feeding him the Instinct Raw Food brand, but our local pet store stopped carrying it so now i feed him Primal Raw Food. The food seems fine, but im concerned that this new food is the cause of his bowel issue.

What should I do? Has anyone ever experienced anything similar? Has anyone ever feed there pooch Primal products?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
You probably switched too fast, or this food doesn’t agree with him. Try to find his old food. Especially for a puppy, it’s best to slowly transition when switching foods, or they will get the runs.

·
Premium Member
9,703 Posts
I agree with Dechi. You have to phase in the new food. Unfortunately, you didn’t have that option. Maybe a few T. of pumpkin to firm up the stools as he adjusts.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I echo the comments about transitioning to new food, and that is most likely the cause but it wouldn't hurt to get his stool checked for parasites. Mine had some worms as well as giardia when we brought her home, and she had to take meds for it. Her stools were very much as you describe until all that was cleared up.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Check the ingredients in both foods and see what is different.

I feed raw from my kitchen, so I know everything my dogs are eating (other than the time the ram was neutered- off subject) I only give vegetables that have been cooked because they cannot really digest hard vegetables. Some foods use fresh raw carrots etc., and that may be going right through your puppy.

·
Registered
307 Posts

Check the ingredients in both foods and see what is different.

I feed raw from my kitchen, so I know everything my dogs are eating (other than the time the ram was neutered- off subject) I only give vegetables that have been cooked because they cannot really digest hard vegetables. Some foods use fresh raw carrots etc., and that may be going right through your puppy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts