Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beckie’s breeder isn’t professional I find. When Beckie was 4 1/2 months, she had just came home and had a few minor health issues and fortunately she came with a free six weeks pet insurance.

So I told the breeder about it and she also helped with the expenses. Which weren’t that much, maybe 600$-700$. It could have been a lot worse. The breeder was okay until it was found that Beckie had fleas and I asked for help to pay for the treatment. She took offense and told me she didn’t have fleas at her place and it was impossible Beckie got it from her. When I got Beckie, I met the breeder at a dog fair outside, where her dogs where in playpens outside all weekend. So it’s possible she got the fleas there. Which I told her. Merlin had no fleas, so she didn’t get it from him !

So anyways, since then, she barely replied to my emails and hasn’t replied to the last 2 I sent her.

She was withholding Beckie’s registration papers until she got spayed. Which was done today. So I sent her the spay certificate by email. I don’t care so much about the registration papers (Canadian Kennel Club) but I need her CKC number to change the infos on her microchip to my address and phone number. Right now there is no address, just the breeder’s name. Not even a phone number.

How long would you give her to reply to the email before phoning ? And if she doesn’t agree to give me my registration papers on the phone, I’m getting a lawyer to write a letter.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugh, I'd be on the phone with her right now. Maybe her email isn't working? Good luck!
Thanks !

When she would reply, it took 2-3 days. She works outside the home, so I can understand she doesn’t have a lot of time for emails, with the many dogs she has to take care of.

If I haven’t had a reply by Saturday, I’ll call Sunday I think.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
I know your relationship went downhill quickly with all the health problems Beckie came home with... but I would give her a few days to respond.

I’m someone who checks my emails regularly through the day, use it for work etc. but many people don’t. They may check it every few days and maybe not for a week or two if they are on vacation.

I hope she sends them to you and is pleasant so you don’t have additional problems.

Reactions: lisasgirl and Dechi

·
Registered
320 Posts
She was withholding Beckie’s registration papers until she got spayed. Which was done today. So I sent her the spay certificate by email. I don’t care so much about the registration papers (Canadian Kennel Club) but I need her CKC number to change the infos on her microchip to my address and phone number. Right now there is no address, just the breeder’s name. Not even a phone number.[/QUOTE]

I am sorry you are having that problem. Is that how it works with the microchip? I have a similar problem in that I have asked Sage’s breeder 4 times in 3 years for his registration papers. She too waits until one sends her his proof of neuter, which I did, 2.5 years ago!!:(
She lives in a rural area so doesn’t often have internet but I texted her too. How do I know what’s on his chip?
I do want his CKC registration — let me know what happens next. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
3,008 Posts
If I were a breeder, as a rule I'd want the vet to email the spay/neuter papers to me; only then could I be sure it was legit. Others might prefer to have the original mailed to them, which could be done by registered or certified mail with a self-addressed stamped envelope for them to mail it back.

I wouldn't expect anyone to respond to a same day personal email; a lot of people go for days w/o checking for a variety of reasons, i.e. a full time job and/or family and be too busy on weekdays to check, etc.

In your case, if you haven't heard back by Saturday, I'd send her a friendly text that said something like, "Hi, I emailed you the spay certificate. Please email me Beckie's papers asap so I can take care of her microchip issue, thanx."

Also in a worse case scenario where this drags on for weeks, getting another microchip is cheaper than hiring an attorney.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I'm not sure how this part works, but do you know which company she is chipped with? If so, is there any way to contact them directly to find out if there's a way to bypass a breeder if you can't get cooperation, or a response?

Is there a bill of sale showing you as Beckie's new family? That might help you if you need to bypass the breeder.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She was withholding Beckie’s registration papers until she got spayed. Which was done today. So I sent her the spay certificate by email. I don’t care so much about the registration papers (Canadian Kennel Club) but I need her CKC number to change the infos on her microchip to my address and phone number. Right now there is no address, just the breeder’s name. Not even a phone number.
I am sorry you are having that problem. Is that how it works with the microchip? I have a similar problem in that I have asked Sage’s breeder 4 times in 3 years for his registration papers. She too waits until one sends her his proof of neuter, which I did, 2.5 years ago!!:(
She lives in a rural area so doesn’t often have internet but I texted her too. How do I know what’s on his chip?
I do want his CKC registration — let me know what happens next. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

In my case it’s on my contract, so there was no surprise. If she doesn’t respond, before even to my last option, the lawyer (that’s the angry part of me speaking), I will call the CKC and report her and try to find her registration number, hoping they will release it to me.

I think you should call them too.

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Good idea Rose n Poos! I also think I would wait to see if I got an email reply until Saturday and then I would call. After that certainly I would have an attorney write a letter. I hope this resolved favorably and quickly. You deserve to have the terms of your purchase agreement honored. You have done your part.

On a side note I don't think I really understand withholding the registration papers as essentially a random to desexing the dog. Maybe Canada (and perhaps other places) are different than the US where the breeder can register the litter and get registration numbers for all of the puppies before they leave for their forever homes. Part of the paperwork we got when Javelin came home was the application to transfer ownership and be able to get the AKC registration. His breeders had prefilled their sections, including indication that the registration was limited. He is still intact and will remain so. It is sufficient that his papers indicate that his puppies (were he to have any) are not able to be registered.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I were a breeder, as a rule I'd want the vet to email the spay/neuter papers to me; only then could I be sure it was legit. Others might prefer to have the original mailed to them, which could be done by registered or certified mail with a self-addressed stamped envelope for them to mail it back.

I wouldn't expect anyone to respond to a same day personal email; a lot of people go for days w/o checking for a variety of reasons, i.e. a full time job and/or family and be too busy on weekdays to check, etc.

In your case, if you haven't heard back by Saturday, I'd send her a friendly text that said something like, "Hi, I emailed you the spay certificate. Please email me Beckie's papers asap so I can take care of her microchip issue, thanx."

Also in a worse case scenario where this drags on for weeks, getting another microchip is cheaper than hiring an attorney.
I forwarded the vet’s original email, so she has a valid proof.

Having two microchips would be risky. Someone scanning it might read the original with no information and not keep looking for a second one. So there would be no point.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure how this part works, but do you know which company she is chipped with? If so, is there any way to contact them directly to find out if there's a way to bypass a breeder if you can't get cooperation, or a response?

Is there a bill of sale showing you as Beckie's new family? That might help you if you need to bypass the breeder.
In Canada microchipping through CKC is mandatory for registered dogs. I know what company they use, I know their website and how to request a change of info on the microchip. I tried doing it but I’m missing one info : the CKC registration number.

I will certainly try to bypass the breeder, by phoning the CKC first and trying to get her registration number. I will also report the breeder, which I would like to avoid of course if I can. I do have a proof of purchase with all my infos and hers, and also a valid contract.

It’s definitely in her best interest to give me the papers. Or her reputation will suffer.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good idea Rose n Poos! I also think I would wait to see if I got an email reply until Saturday and then I would call. After that certainly I would have an attorney write a letter. I hope this resolved favorably and quickly. You deserve to have the terms of your purchase agreement honored. You have done your part.

On a side note I don't think I really understand withholding the registration papers as essentially a random to desexing the dog. Maybe Canada (and perhaps other places) are different than the US where the breeder can register the litter and get registration numbers for all of the puppies before they leave for their forever homes. Part of the paperwork we got when Javelin came home was the application to transfer ownership and be able to get the AKC registration. His breeders had prefilled their sections, including indication that the registration was limited. He is still intact and will remain so. It is sufficient that his papers indicate that his puppies (were he to have any) are not able to be registered.
I don’t know enough to answer this. I think what breeders do is they register the puppies to their own names and when they sell them, they just do a change of ownership. That’s what the other breeder did for Merlin. She sent a change of ownership form to CKC and I became the registered owner. She never took care of the microchip infos though and I found out by accident that I had to change the infos on the chip with the company myself. At least I know now for Beckie.

So this breeder has to do the same for Beckie, so she can be under my name instead of hers.

·
Super Moderator
3,008 Posts
I forwarded the vet’s original email, so she has a valid proof.

Having two microchips would be risky. Someone scanning it might read the original with no information and not keep looking for a second one. So there would be no point.
Excellent news that you had the proof in the vet's email rather than a paper document. She should have no doubt and be satisfied that contractual obligations on your part were met.

I too considered the what if scenario of a scan reading the original chip but missing the second, but weighed it against the cost of litigation.

I think that with patience, you'll have the papers and info you need before the end of the month, and probably before the end of next week since she has nothing to gain by holding on to it.

·
Super Moderator
3,008 Posts
...On a side note I don't think I really understand withholding the registration papers as essentially a random to desexing the dog. Maybe Canada (and perhaps other places) are different than the US where the breeder can register the litter and get registration numbers for all of the puppies before they leave for their forever homes. Part of the paperwork we got when Javelin came home was the application to transfer ownership and be able to get the AKC registration. His breeders had prefilled their sections, including indication that the registration was limited. He is still intact and will remain so. It is sufficient that his papers indicate that his puppies (were he to have any) are not able to be registered.
Catherine, this was interesting. Did your breeder not specify in a contract that Javelin be neutered? I ask b/c so many do.

Javelin is still young, so are you going to neuter him eventually, or do you prefer intact males, or is there an physical advantage (like here) you're considering to keeping him intact?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Otter is also on Limited registration. This is routinely used in the US for dogs sold to pet or performance homes,and is reversible by the breeder.

I have never had a neutered male,not even my 1st minipoo at 11yrs old-i don't know WHY we never neutered him,but we didn't.The whippets were being shown,so they had to be intact. It was never an issue,and unless it got to be an issue, health-wise, I won't . Personal preference,I suppose.:dontknow:

Martha,Che and Otter WildMan

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Catherine, this was interesting. Did your breeder not specify in a contract that Javelin be neutered? No it is not a specification of his contract that he be neutered. I ask b/c so many do.

Javelin is still young, so are you going to neuter him eventually, or do you prefer intact males, or is there an physical advantage (like here) you're considering to keeping him intact? Unless there was a specific medical or behavioral reason to neuter any of our males I would not plan to do so. The health benefits of desexing males are not nearly so clear cut as for females. Our GSD is also intact. Neither of them humps and neither of them is inclined to wander.

I agree with Martha. And Javelin's registration is limited, Peeves' is open.

It is an American obsession to neuter our companion animals. Most dogs in Britain and Europe are intact, but they are not overrun with oops puppies either.

Reactions: Streetcar and Vita

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
When I purchased my guy, the breeder had said he would have to be neutered before she would release paperwork. However his paperwork came and there is now a section called
Registration Type...It says in short...In order to request limited registration, please completely darken this box...and a arrow points to it...on Renn's papers it is darkened. It further states that Limited registration means the dog cannot produce AKC registered litters..However it may participate in most AKC events, including Agility, Obedience and AKC Junior Showmanship. I think this was a good add on the akc papers. This way the breeder does not need to hold back the paperwork waiting for proof of neuter. The breeder and I discussed at purchase that he would not be neutered probably until 18 months unless there was reason to do it earlier. This was agreed upon in light of the newer findings of early spaying/neutering. It sure keeps everyones paperwork easier keep up with.

·
Super Moderator
3,008 Posts
Mufar, that link in my last post, Spay Neuter And Joint Disease. The disadvantages of neutering are an eye opener. I can't remember if you neutered Renn yet, but maybe the breeder will allow him to remain intact if she reads it too. And clearly you aren't running a puppy mill or cranking out doodles with a neighborhood lab, so she might say okay.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Yes she is aware and we had a discussion about it when I purchased him. She knows me pretty well now as I'm always updating her. In fact she has a new litter on the ground, mostly blacks, 1 white. Different sire ," MBISS GCHS Dulcinea Creole Voodoo Queen (Marie) and International GCh Del Zarzoso Salvame From Afterglow (Dino)." We have 5 boys and 2 girls.
I was aware of these finding when my daughter brought her boxer home 4 years ago he is neutered now but not down until over a year. Renn is only 8 months so far so good. He will be neutered probably somewhere between 12-18 months, unless he starts exhibiting any bad habits. LOL

1 - 20 of 30 Posts