the hedges by the side of an old store next to where I work
that is no longer open (hasn't been for years!)I told my hubby
"Lets get it!" however he told me it probably belonged to
someone and just wandered off, I agreed. Okay Sunday,
I am off work. Monday I walk to work (I live just across the
street a ways, so I normally choose to walk on nice days
outside) and as I get across the street, there is the damn
chicken in the same spot scratching around a day later and
I got really got close too to this solid white hen!

Anyways...hours later I get off of work and tell my hubby
I want to walk to see if the stray little pecker is still there
(LOL)...so when I get around the bend (its dark) there is the
dang chicken roosting on top of a hedge! So I grab the chicken
and walk home with her. We believe she fell off the truck with
Chickens heading for Tyson (it happens often in these parts).

So I got her home, she was pefectly fine for a tick on her (like
a dog tick!) under her eye I removed. My grandpa has some
chickens on his farm so I may just take "Gloria" there to live.
LOL. :p

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm worried about her being solid white on a farm however, white chickens are easy pray for opposums, foxes, etc. My grandpa has had a major problem with those old opposums! Right now I got her in a little barn wher I keep my Rabbit "Nell" (Nell is a special rabbit with three legs, another rescue)

I will try and get some pics of her, she if awfully tame compared
to the wild yard birds I grew up around!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are chickens hard to take care of? Could you just keep her?
Not really, however if I kept her I would have to rig up a little fencing for her to get outdoors, (or create a chicken leash?LOL) right now she is locked up in a barn and that would be cruel for her not to be able to get outside. I am worried about the cat and dogs trying to have some homemade KFC if I let her in the yard-maybe they can have turns going outside?LOL. Eh, I dunno what to do at the moment!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
ROFL @ homemade KFC :)

My hubby loves chickens, he used to keep them as pets as a child. We live outside of the city limits and are way out of the way still though we're not zoned to keep livestock or poultry. Bummer :( Who knows though, I might accidently aquire some at some point in time. Maybe an older Nicholas will want to do the poultry project with the 4-H clubs (hahaha their club is called Hot Wings!).

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't live outside city limits either ( I used to, I miss it!) , however I have a good sized fenced backyard my dogs play in, also lots of people around here have uptown yard birds I've noticed, however Ms. Chicky couldn't of came from a nearby house I believe, thinking she definitely fell off the truck.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Chicken wire and some stakes and viola you've got yourself a homemade chicken coop. Seriously though, you saved her from becoming KFC so you've gotta keep her right?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chicken wire and some stakes and viola you've got yourself a homemade chicken coop. Seriously though, you saved her from becoming KFC so you've gotta keep her right?
Yeah I was thinking about putting some chicken wire and stakes around the barn, I was actually wanting some chickens one day...now the time is better than ever I suppose. If you think about it, the chicken and my rabbit will come useful when it comes to doing some gardening this year...yuck, but it helps! :p

·
Registered
875 Posts
Poultry falling off trucks is a big problem around me too, but they usually dont make it.... I always wonder how those darn birds get off the truck to begin with!

On my way to Clemson I was driving and it was dark, and before I knew it I hit a HUGE dead turkey that had fallen off a truck (it was white)
I was worried that it would have hurt the car, but I didnt see it til the last minute.

on that trip I counted 6 dead turkeys on the side of the road!!!
Thats alot of profit to be missing out on, they should fix up those trucks.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
LOL poor chicken.
Can you dye her feathers before you send her off?

Ha ha, I know you can't...but still.

Man I wish dead turkeys would fall off trucks by our house, that would make feeding raw a LOT cheaper! ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
When we lived on the farm I had 8 chickens. I gave them to my Mom when we had to move. When I go back to visit, MY chickens run up to my truck and are very happy to see me! I guess chickens aren't as brainless as some people think ;) I REALLY loved my chickens. They were my girlfriends. Whenever I was outside I had 8 chickens and 2 dogs following me everywhere. If I was in my back yard you could add a pony to that line up :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts